We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would we enjoy Kos?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
would we enjoy Kos?

We are 2 couples in our 60's. We are flying out of Bodrum and want to spend a few days on one of the Greek islands. Because of the ferry times, Kos is the easiest. However not sure we would enjoy it as we are not party people!

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: would we enjoy Kos?

I love Kos, no doubt you will enjoy it!

There is some nightlife in Kos-town, and in Kardamena, but it surely isn't right in your face.

Kos-town is pretty amazing. It has everything you can hope for. Lovely narrow alleys, beautiful plants and flowers everywhere, and the town is packed with ancient ruins on every street corner, restaurants to all tastes... You can take the lazy train up to the asclepeion, the ruins of an ancient sanctuary... The fortress at the waterfront is also worth a visit. I recommend staying there above all other resorts, unless if you need beaches. It has some decent beaches, however, the best of the island are on the south/east (Kardamena etc...) But Tigaki on the north/west has a great beach, with a wonderful view on the island of Pserimos, and is a quieter resort than Kardamena.

It's not a large island, but out exploring you will find plenty to do to fill your days... If you need more ideas on what to see or do, feel free to ask.

I'm sure you'll love Kos!

Kent
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: would we enjoy Kos?

Kos is a friendly island with lots of history, and a totally different atmosphere to Bodrum and a good mix of people, ages, nationalities etc. Most of the bars and nightclubs are in Kardamena which is towards the other end of the island plus a couple of streets in Kos Town and you need not even come into contact with any of these areas .

As already said by floevy the town is really interesting and will have plenty to keep you occupied for a few days.

What time of year will you be travelling as you may need to think about your accommodation. As I do not stay in Kos Town itself I cannot give specific recommentations but if you do a search for 'Kos Town hotels' in the Search in box just above your first comment then you will see hotel suggestions to some previous enquiries. There are some lovely photos and information in the link below

www.travel-to-kos.com/place.php?place_id=23

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: would we enjoy Kos?

Hi there

Kos is a lovely island, and other than Kardamena, which is the party resort on the island, is a relaxed and historic place to visit. Bodrum to Kos is a quick and easy ferry ride. The island is small, there's really just the one main road that links Kos Town in the far north to Kefalos in the south, with a few offshoots to various inland villages and coastal resorts. You can easily drive from one end to the other in an hour.

Kos Town offers history, museums, a lovely harbour area, lots of shopping in it's back streets and narrow alleyways, and a huge choice of bars, restaurants and tavernas. All the serious nightlife is contained within two parallel streets and is easy to avoid. It's beaches aren't the best and they do get very busy so if you really just want to chill for a week or so, I would suggest you look at one of the west coast resorts such as Marmari, Mastihari and Tigaki, all of which have good beaches and bus links to Kos Town

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: would we enjoy Kos?

If its only for a few days then you won't go far wrong with kos town it has everything mostly flat to walk the only slight incline is up the narrow streets of old town with all the shops and tavernas to look at and you won't be pulled into the shops l like in bodrum, you can look at your leisure, and from kos town you can get all over the island by bus from the bus station very near old town main street, kos is a very laid back place with old and modern entwined so enjoy

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: would we enjoy Kos?

I'm sure you would enjoy Kos for a few days as the island has something for everybody - quietish and lively resorts; lowlands and mountains, historic sites from ancient greece and roman times, to very good italian architecture from the 1930's, ancient mosques and churches; good sunbathing beaches and good watersports beaches.

We love the island mainly because of the friendly locals, the tavernas and the brilliant general atmosphere - something for everybody.

6. Re: would we enjoy Kos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Kos
Recent Conversations