We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to kos!! =)

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to kos!! =)

We will be visiting kos for the 1st time on July 7th 2012 for 7 night's

I would like to find out the cost of food drinks etx and good places to visit I.e Shopping restaurants/ pubs and water sports

Thanks

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

Here is an idea of prices in Tigaki, the prices will be similar all over the island:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…41628362

Where are you staying? Watersports, places to go etc. will depend on that. Wherever you stay you must visit Kos Town at least once, there is a lot to see there.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

Hi

We're staying in Aegean village. Kardamena

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

OK, assuming you want to get out and about a bit, on my list number one would be Kos Town. Lots of ancient ruins scattered around all over the city, a lovely harbour area, pedestranised streets for shopping back from the harbour, a fort/castle. Hippocrates' tree etc etc.

You can easily get there by bus from Kardamena, and I think there are also coach trips.

Other places worth a visit: ancient Pyli isn't that far away with an abandoned village and a ruined castle on a hilltop, the mountain village of Zia, famous for its sunsets but worth a look round during the day, the lovely beach and the salt lake at Tigaki, Antimachia castle, boat trip to the volcanic island of Nissyros, Hippocrates' "medical school" the Asklepion, a few km outside Kos Town, in the middle of the island the sleepy port village of Mastihari, again with a lovely beach, and in the south, Kefalos.

Clearly if you have transport you will find it much easier to get around, but many of these places will be accessible by bus.

If you like walking (in the heat) there are various hikes on the island, some of which start in Kardamena.

Hope this gives you a few ideas for starters.

I've not been to Kardamena for some time now, but I'm sure there must be watersports available there. Someone else will be able to say exactly where.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 09:34
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

Thanks Steve.

The harbour, kos town and of course the Shopping all sounds good to me!

30+ degrees to be expected isn't it ?

Is things pricey?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

30+ definitely.

Prices - don't know what you are expecting. All I can say is that Kos is not the most expensive Greek island by a long way, but also not as cheap as some others. Generally speaking eating out in greece is quite reasonable, as long as you don't go in for fancy steaks etc., and drinks in tavernas are also inexpensive - usually a bit (or a lot) more in bars. Supermarket shopping can be expensive, particularly if you buy imported stuff. Clothes etc. probably about the same as here, but you will find a lot of designer copies. Incidentally, if you are intending looking at 'normal' clothes and shoe shops etc. rather than those aimed at the tourists, come into town in the morning, as they shut from lunchtime (1.30pm ish) until early evening most days.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

30+ sounds good !

Sorry taverans? You've lost me! Will be looking for a good restaurant with a very good selection and standard on one night especially, for me birthday. Other wise were not that picky really. My boyfriend is a real meat/ burger kind of guy! =)

Want to buy some purses bags, maybe a watch. Designer copies is what I'll be looking for.

Thanks for your advice Steve

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

Meat - think pork or chicken souvlaki (big cubes of meat on a skewer, or if in a snack place, smaller ones on a stick), gyros portion or gyros pitta, mixed grill etc. Grilled meat is everywhere.

Burgers are usually home made and called bifteki.

In case you're not familiar with gyros, have a look at this:

www.explorecrete.com/cuisine/gyros.html

Incidentally, it's NOTHING like donner kebab, other than the way it is cooked! Gyros is real pieces of meat!

Also lots of Greek dishes - Mousska, Stifado, Kleftico, Greek salad, etc., in almost all tavernas (simple Greek restaurants, think of paper cloths and wicker chairs, not starched napkins)

Again, I can't recommend anywhere in Kardamena as I've not been there for ages.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 22:27
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

Thanks Steve. Sounds like my boyfriend has some nice food to look forward to and I have some good shopping!

I take the language is Greek/ Spanish out there then.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

Haven't heard anyone speak Spanish in Greece. The language is Greek but most people you will meet will have some English.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to kos!! =)

Any recommendations for "designer" shopping Marg

Get answers to your questions about Kos
Recent Conversations