We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips to Nisyros

Lincs
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trips to Nisyros

Hi, we fly to Kos for our wedding and my OH's 40th birthday on the 29th September with my whole family. I've seen some fantastic photo's of Nisyros and would love to go. But I don't want to do an organised trip.

Does anyone know if there are any ferries from Kos Town to Nisyros and how much it costs for a return day trip? Or can someone supply me with a link to the ferries website?

Also when we're on the island, what's the best way to get around? A bus, Taxi...or would an organised tour be better? I want to enjoy the day without feeling like I'm being herded like a sheep though and I've also got to keep the costs down.

Many thanks for any help.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,033 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips to Nisyros

Check this option:

http://www.12ne.gr/en/

Edited: 16 September 2012, 22:07
Lincs
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips to Nisyros

I can't seem to get a return trip within the same day - as in a day trip. The return journey leaves before the first journey arrives there.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips to Nisyros

Are you staying in Kos Town?

I think the ferry for Nissyros leaves from Kardamena.

Once you get to Nissyros, there are buses to take you to the volcano.

Even if you don't do an organised trip, that may be the only way to get there (I can't quite remember if I saw any taxis) but it will certainly be the cheapest way to do it.

So if you want to D-I-Y and you're not staying in Kardamena, you'll have to get there from your resort to get the ferry.

And even if you do it yourself, you'll still be on a ferry with lots of people who've booked an organised tour, and there will be lots of people at the volcano at the same time as you.

You'll get free time in Mandraki.

In 2009, we paid 25 euro for the trip from a local agent in Tingaki and never felt that we were 'herded like sheep'.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips to Nisyros

I understand you preferring to go independently, however in this case you may find booking through a local agent a better option as they can pick you up from your accommodation and take you straight to the boat. They also arrange your transport to and from the volcano. The scramble for the buses can be difficult if you are on your own. As already mentioned you will get free time in Mandraki where you can have lunch.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips to Nisyros

I agree, Marg001.

I'm a big fan of D-I-Y trips where possible but I think the Nissyros one is one where it's far easier to book with an agent.

We used a local agent, not our tour operator.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips to Nisyros

Definitely book with a local agent rather than the tour operator. You will get the same or better trip cheaper.

Lincs
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips to Nisyros

Thank you for all of your reply's. I didn't want to pay the Tour operators tour prices as they're normally a rip off.

Does anyone know how much a local tour would cost from Kos Town?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trips to Nisyros

<<In 2009, we paid 25 euro for the trip from a local agent in Tingaki and never felt that we were 'herded like sheep'.>>

I took this price from a brochure I brought back.

IIRC, they had an offer on that if you booked 2 trips, you got a free 'Sunset in Zia'.

We also did the 'Island Hopping' which was lovely - visited Plati, Pserimos and Kalymnos.

BUT - there's another thread asking exactly the same question and someone has posted this:

<< ..or you need to look round the harbour on Thursday evening. There is usually 1 boat going to Nissyros.>>

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trips to Nisyros

Not sure about agents in Kos Town, I only use Theokritos Travel based in Tigaki these days, but their prices are all about the same.

Not a huge problem on this trip but try to get on one with an English speaking guide as information can sometimes get lost in a translation.

kirkwall, orkney
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trips to Nisyros

Laumzis travel in Kos Town do the trip on a Tuesday leaving at 08:30 returning at 15;30.

Think it was 25 euros each

Get answers to your questions about Kos
Recent Conversations