We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in in May questions..?

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Topic
Flying in in May questions..?

We're flying in from Athens early May for a few days then ferrying to Symi,Leros etc. How to get from airport to Kos town?

Is there a nice pension or atmospheric hotel (budget Eu50 dbl.) with a sea view close to Kos town?

What would be a good driving route to see the best of Kos with places to stay at for a few days?

We're independant,older folks who travel a lot (3x Greece and Turkey recently) and like to swim,eat well and explore.

Thank you for suggestions

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

Kos is tiny, you can drive from one end to the other in not much more than an hour and there is just the one main road, with a few offshoots to some of the west coast resorts and the hill villages of the Asfendiou. So, really, it's more a case of "down and back" rather than any form of circular ride. Given that most of the island's sights are in the top half, I doubt you could stretch the ride out to more than two days.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

we love kefalos which is as G.B says not that far from anywhere it is a small island with great places to visit kos is a nice place to stays some of the friendliest peoples I have ever met be sure to visit the village tavern in zia a great guy and family

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

Kefalos Bay looks a bit organised in my guidebooks....not a fan of beach umbrellas and couches in rows.

If Kos is so small , I'm wondering how to get around when there's not far to go in a rented car. Are motor scooters the answer and cheap and available?

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

we used a quad for much of the time a large one but its more comfortable with air con in a car a must do trip whilst on the island is a trip to kalymnos and to mandrake and volcano nyssiros

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

I'm putting Nisyros and Mandraki on my list from Kos. Sounds amazing!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,336 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

Nissyros

http://tinyurl.com/ceyueu

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

Most major beaches on the island ( or any island) will have parasols and sunbeds staked out on them, it doesn't make the place not worth visiting. Look beyond the beach and dig a little deeper to see what the place has to offer. The remains of the island's ancient capital Astypalia are evident if you venture down onto the Krikello peninula and there is the pretty small island in the bay as well.

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

Kos and the surrounding islands seem just what we are looking for and I'm glad we have a month to discover it all. Seems to be good ferry opportunities Kos - Symi-Nisyros- up to Patmos possibly this trip, then Amorgos,Naxos and in to Rafina and airport is the plan (we start end April in the Peloponnese for 2 weeks)

- so 6 weeks in all and can't wait!

Greek traveller , your photos are inspiring, thanks..

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear that I found a scooter to be an ideal way to tour Kos. I did find them a little more expensive than on most other islands, especially for bikes over 80cc. But the roads were in very good shape I thought.

While small, you should definitely rent something to get around. There are enough sites scattered throughout the island to occupy a few days - ancient Pyli and the "traditional" village of Zia, which is highly commercialized, but well worth visiting...don't miss the local cinnamon drink which seems to be their specialty like the almond drink in Crete.

Also, if you go to Nissyros as a daytrip, you might be better off driving to driving to Kardamena for the ferry, and saving a lot of time picking up passengers on the bus from Kos town. But you probably do want an organized tour if you don't spend the night on the island so you'll have transport to and from the crater.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying in in May questions..?

One tip - from Zia, drive along the ridge back towards Asklepion, Platani and Kos Town - fantastic views.

Get answers to your questions about Kos