We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kos Airport

Scotland
Level Contributor
236 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Kos Airport

Not got there yet, but just wondering what Kos airport is like for coming home? Are we better to make sandwiches and take them with us, or are the shop(s) reasonable?

Can anyone give general feedback on the airport shopping, duty free, food etc etc?

Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kos Airport

hi,like mosts islands,kos airport is very small..i remember bying something like a sandwich or a pizza and it was quite expensive,so definitely take sandwiches from home..i didn't look for shopping so can't comment on that.

are you coming in high season?i have only used it in low season and had no problems but have read here compalints about it being crowded some times in high season .here are some posts about that

http://tinyurl.com/km3kunc

Edited: 12 May 2014, 14:36
lancashire
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kos Airport

Kos airport is very small. It has at any one time up to 3 Thomson check in desks. Queuing is outside, and they allow so many thru at a time so not to create grid lock with suitcases. It's OK on later flights, but if you're queing outside in the afternoon, it can get very humid, very stressful too at times. So, take bottled water with you, you can dump in bins provided before security checks.

Take crisps, a sandwich or 2 and maybe buy some fries etc once thru to departures.

Very small, one cafeteria serving sandwiches, fries, burgers. Crisps, snacks and chocolate are more expensive here than the supermarkets, so buy beforehand.

Duty free is again upstairs, small and not lots to choose from, but the staff are efficient and very friendly.

Toilets downstairs.

There is a small snack bar outside, so up to you if you want to leave checking in later rather than sooner....

The reps are sometimes informative, sometimes useless? On how quickly they pass on information, but, although the airport is small, the staff are very quick, kind and helpful. One thing, watch your luggage weight, they are red hot on over weight cases, and its something like €11 per kilo!!!!

The airport really can be the straw that broke the camel's back, but, if you have children, pack a couple of games that they haven't played before, orcards or magazines, and pproduce them at the airport...cuts down on lots of unnecessary moaning.. (From mum and Dad) lol

It isn't my favourite place to fly from, but, hey ho, arrivals are OK, don't like to think of departures.

Just plan ahead, not that bad!!!!!!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
236 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kos Airport

All useful stuff, many thanks for the replies. Travelling home at the beginning of June and the flight time is around 9pm, so I just need to remember to put my insect repellent on - don't want a mozzie bite at the airport!

Edited: 12 May 2014, 17:23
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kos Airport

Hi

Are there no tavernas near the airport you can walk to when you have checked your cases in.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kos Airport

Apparently there was/is a taverna opposite the airport, where you could go for a drink whilst waiting for your flight..... We have never been at the airport long enough to find out?

Usually the coach transfer leaves you about 2 hours at the most before departure, in that time you have to queue, check through security, passport control and then negotiate people at boarding gates, to get up to duty free etc.

If things go to plan and flight on time, they then have you on buses to take you across runway, then a mass exodus up steps to queue again to get on plane!!!! Don't stress though, they are efficient and very good. However, I haven't heard the reps mention the taverna the last few times we've been?

Ask your rep, once at your hotel, they should be able to help you,

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kos Airport

the panarama taverna is over the main road by airport worth a visit while on the island very nice family but not that close for a quick drink before you leave at the airport as previous post best get some food before you leave resort

Edited: 12 May 2014, 23:05
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kos Airport

I was quite impressed with the airport. limited facilities but functional

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kos Airport

Absolutely Matthew. Very small, and can be quite stressful if you have small children, especially in high season if queuing in hot weather??? However, that aside, I have always thought the airport staff to be efficient, courteous and good at their job.

It's functional, and we keep coming back....so hey!

Happy holidays.

Yeadon, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kos Airport

Hi we fly with Ryanair in two weeks time, we are only taking hand luggage can anyone tell me what we have to do on our return trip from kos airport, as we don't need to check our bags in do we still have to queue out side etc...

Many Thanks jet set leeds.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kos Airport

Once you arrive at the airport there will be a designated desk for your flights....however, depending on the volume of passengers etc is how you can progress.

They only let a few people thru at a time, but, I would imagine you will already have your printed boarding card? If that's the case, once in the zone, go straight to baggage security queue, bag goes thru scanner, then on to passport control, then yay departures. It's really up to you if you go thru later rather than sooner, but, there are always 2 or 3 reps who will help you out.

You obviously won't need to be in the suitcase line, but, it's how quickly they will allow you into security baggage queue, because the airport is so small.

Get answers to your questions about Kos
Recent Conversations