We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time car hire

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First time car hire

Just about to visit Kos for the first time. I'm thinking of hiring a car but never driven abroad before (apart from the ferry port to Hypermarkets in Calais!), so I'm a bit nervous. Is it easy or should I stick to buses?!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time car hire

Well put it this way.

There are rules of the road that the Greek drivers totally ignore!

Kos is a great island with lots to see and is best done by bicycle.

Kent
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time car hire

Kos is quite flat and many people do cycle and if you want to do this there are plenty available. However if cycling is not your thing and you wish to hire a car then with the exception of Kos Town the island is fairly early to navigate. You don't say where you are staying and the bus service is quite good from most main resorts into Kos Town. There are some places off the bus routes where a car would be useful and that may be too far for many people to cycle. Perhaps wait until you get there and give it 2-3 days to get used to the feel of the roads then hire a car (or a cycle) for maybe 4 days.

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time car hire

Bear in mind the temperatures now are 30C plus.

We hired a Beetle convertible from Tingaki Express (also offices in Psalidhi and Mastihari). Two days is enough to go everywhere and relax on the beach in the afternoons. There is a car ferry from Mastihari to Pothia, Kalymnos. This enables you to drive to Myrties/Massouri for Telendos - stunning.

Kos Town has a one way system but I found it easy to navigate.

The excursion offices run coach trips to places like Paradise Beach & Zia at night , with or without the tourist glendi.

The "country" buses are quite good and fares about eu 2 - 3. In Kos town the local buses are eu1

A road train runs to the Asklepeion - a must excursion.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time car hire

The 30c temperatures are what puts me off cycling the most!

I'm staying in Kefalos and definitely want to get to Asklepeion and like the idea of seeing as much of the island as possible. Might go for the hiring for a couple of days option.

Thanks all - so excited now, one week to go

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time car hire

Cycling is more used at the flat end of Kos ie Lambi, Kos town, Psalidhi, and Tingaki.

The places you NEED a car are round Kephalos eg Ayios Ioannis Theologos, Ayios Mammas, Aspri Petri, and "old" Astypalea. Sunset dinner at Ayios Ioannis Theologos is spectacular with great mezedhes. Ayios mammas beach is clothing optional.

If money is no object then you can have a nice day out around Kos with the car taking in the hot springs at Bros Therma, Kos port, castle, Hippocrates tree then returning via the Asklepeion , the Asfendiou villages, Pyli then down to Mastihari for a swim/lunch/relaxo.

Do try and get to Telendos. You'll be in the 0.5% of Kos visitors to do it. Kudos.

If money is tight then do it on the bus. You would probably miss out the springs and the Asfendiou villages but you can probably get a coach trip to Zia at night. This can be problematical with a car as the roads are dark and winding after a bottle or two of Malamatina.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time car hire

We stay in Kefalos and hire a car for 2-3 days from Demetri's on the harbour road or Manolis on the main road.

Buses from Kefalos are quite good and go via Mastihari to Kos Town. Last year we got the first bus to Mastihari and the ferry over to Kalymnos - all nice and easy.

There is also Asklepios Tours on the harbour road that organises trips up to Zia for the sunset and boat trips across to Nissyros from the harbour.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
551 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time car hire

We hired from Dimitris in Kefalos for 3 days in June. 70€ fully insured. 3 days is plenty imo.

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time car hire

Manolis is big in Kephalos έτσι δεν είναι?

If you drive to the west end - Ayios Ioannis Theologos etc. you need follow the road round to the left at the top of the hill (try cycling that in 30C heat!) - don't go straight through Kephalos.

Imho Limionas doesn't justify a visit.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time car hire

If money was no object then I might go for a chauffeur, lol!

Thanks for all suggestions, think I will definitely go for the 2 - 3 days. Its my first solo holiday and I fancy seeing as much of the island as possible

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time car hire

The island has one major road running up from Kef, the middle of the island past the airport to Kos Town. All of the coastal areas around the island are like small a or b roads running down to the coast or mountains off that one road.

If you're staying for a week then I wouldn't bother with the car - do an evening trip to zia, boat trip over to zia and a bus into kos town, plenty to see and that's half your time gone.

Longer than a week then consider it but personally I wouldn't bother with the drive to the thermal springs. Plaka is worth a look but so is Kalymnos (which you can do on public transport).

The other alternative is not a car but a small quad

Get answers to your questions about Kos