We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patmos - Hotels

Which Patmos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west sussex uk
Level Contributor
981 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Patmos - Hotels

Hi

We've not been to Patmos before, and since we are no longer the types to just turn up and find a room on arrival (children in tow!) I like to have somewhere booked in advance. (Esp as we will be arriving in late July)

The island looks small enough to explore on foot/bus/scooter, however we'd ideally like to be staying within walking distance of a nice beach.

I have read on here that Griko beach is poor, and that the western facing beaches ( Merihas?) are not that impressive either (too windy,and rocky?)

Where is a good area to stay?

Looking at a couple of guide books either Blue Bay ( in the konsolato area) or the Australis in the netia area both seem to be well recommended. How far a walk are these from a decent beach?

One final question please.

If leaving Rhodes early morning approx what time would arrival in Patmos be please? (Assuming that thereis a ferry leaving Rhodes early morning!)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patmos - Hotels

IN May 2006 the only ferry we could get left Rhodes at about 6 pm, and arrived Patmos at Midnight. It should be better in July. No hotel recommendation, because we just stayed near the pier to get an earlly morning ferry to Samos.

Now, There's a terrific island.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patmos - Hotels

I have been to Patmos about 4 times in the last 20 years or so.

Grikou beach is indeed poor, gritty sand and part used as a road.

I always choose to stay in the port for convenience, choice of tavernas and a bit of life. The nearest decent sandy beach within walking distance of the port is Meloi beach, about 30 mins walk north of the port. The beaches to the west of the port (Hoklaka, Merichas) are rocky and poor. Beaches to the south of the port like Sapsilon have a lot of sea urchins and a bit rocky.

Kambos bay is reasonably sandy, and has some accomodation and a couple of tavernas.

Buses run regularly from the port to Kambos, Chora, Grikou. Timetable on the ferry quay.

The best sand beach by far is Psili Ammos in the south, boats sometimes go from the port or you can walk there from Grikou in about 1+ hour, passing various pebbly beaches and Kalikratsou rock, ship repair yard, on the way. You can get the road from Chora to a nearer point by car/bike.

The hotels you mention I don't know as I just rent a room on arrival, but the Blue bay is on the coast road to Grikou, both seem to be fairly central to the port.

A 08:30 departure on the 'Dodekanese Express' catamaran from Rhodes arrives about 14:00 in Patmos, there may be other catamarans/hydrofoils that would take roughly the same sort of time, and of course standard ferries at other times. The hydrofoils go from Mandraki harbour and the catamarans from Kolona quay in the commercial harbour.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patmos - Hotels

I'd recommend the Hotel Hellinis in Patmos. It's about midway between Meloi Beach, which has a couple very nice taverns, and the town. Rooms were very nice and the balconies offered an incredible view of Skala and Hora and the Monastery above it. I'd planned to spend two nights there, ended up spending 5, and easily could have spent 5 more. The island's a great base for day trips to Samos, Lipsi, and possibly Leros.

And you are right - it's a great island to explore by scooter or foot. Because of the spectacular views, I ended up walking from Skala to Hora at least once a day.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Patmos - Hotels

Maybe PortoSkoutari Hotel at http://www.portoscoutari.com/index_hotel.html would be suitable for you, which is less than a 3-4 minute walk to sandy Meloi Beach, 5-6 minutes to Agriolivadi Beach, Patmos’ majestic beaches, and just 10 minutes walk to the bustling harbor town of Skala.

Last time we visited Griko beach we got dissapointed. (this summer) Not ideal for families with young children, absolutely full of adult Italians, loud music etc

Beckenham kent
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Patmos - Hotels

Hello Billyseagull

The best hotel on Patmos is the the Blue Bay it is in a perfect location for Skala and good for kids.

The hotel owners live in Australia and open the hotel for the summer and are very friendly and helpful.

In our option the best beach is Agriolivado which is a 40 min walk from Skala or 5 Mins in a cab about 5 Euros.

We travel to Samos on a wednesday flight and get the Hydrofoil the flying dolphin this service was twice a day but has now is only running once a day and you need to stay on Samos overnight.Because the service is now less frequent you need to book tickets in advance.

The travel agents in Pythagorio (by ship travel) email nkatr4@altecnet.gr will be able to help you with tickets.

We have stayed in the Australis and the Blue Bay and for location its the Blue Bay for me.You can also get to Patmos from Kos on the same Hydofoil service that runs to Samos.Having never traveled from Rhodes we can not help you there.

Regards Colin

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patmos - Hotels

colinserff

On a Wednesday flight you can catch the 'Nissos Kalymnos'(Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) ferry @ 14:30 from Pythagorio > Patmos, no need to overnight, assuming you have an early morning flight. Also the Dodecanese Seaways catamaran from Rhodes calls into Kos as well on the way to Patmos.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patmos - Hotels

hi.

when we were in patmos we stayed in porto scoutari hotel.i tottaly recommend it.www.portoscoutari.com

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patmos - Hotels

Hi Colinserf

I tried to email nkatr4@altecnet.gr but it bounced. Do you have any other info as to the name of the agency so I can Google them and try to locate a current email?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patmos - Hotels

DerekNZ

The ticket agency for the ferries is on the main street of Pythagorio near the Tourist office. You will need to go in person to buy tickets when you are there and check on schedules. The hydrofoils vary each year, and the 'Nissos Kalymnos' conks out now and again.

10. Re: Patmos - Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about Patmos