We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Skala to Chora and back

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
From Skala to Chora and back

Hi,

I'd like to visit the Monastery and the cave going by bus up and walking down. I have been searching for a map that clearly shows the way from Chora via the cave and back to Skala.

Are there any signposts from Chora to the cave? Could I lose my way?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you :-)

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Skala to Chora and back

I've done exactly what you want to do. The path is signposted but is also very obvious as it is wide and stone paved -it was and still is used by religious processions, but the much more recent zig-zag road crosses it several times and replaces it on some sections.

Starts near the bus stop in Chora, descends fairly steeply cutting off the first huge zig-zag of the road. Then you cross the road and the path carries on to the start of the wooded area, a branch path leads off to the right down to the cave and the convent. Either retrace your steps back to the main path when you've seen the cave, or walk down the road and rejoin the path just below the road to the hospital.

If you miss the path, the worst is that you end up walking down the road and end up in the same places.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Skala to Chora and back

Hi again,

Route Map for walking here, it's signposted and pretty obvious. The usual type of stepped cobbled path which crosses the road way:

www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=3648881

It's not the only path up/down Skala <> Chora there are others shown on Google Maps/Earth but they don't go past the cave. it only takes about 30 min going down.

If you go into Chora next door to the Monastery you will find it almost completely free of tourists, cruise passengers, so worth a side wander.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Skala to Chora and back

So this is what I did: I got on the bus from Skala to Chora at 9:25 - 1,50 euros. Went up and visited the monastery - 4 euros. Got down the the entrance to Chora and then followed the path to the cave - but ended up at the Health Center! I could see the cave like 300 meters behind me and inland from the mainroad and the path between Chora and Skala going just 20 meters below the point where I was at the main road. So I decided to slide the 20 meters down to the path and from there I easily backtracked on the right path and got to the cave :-)

Entrance at the cave was 2 euros.

The way from the cave to Skala was easy.

Wear sturdy sandals or shoes - even if you don't have to slide - the "pavement" on the path is broken in some places!

Edited: 23 July 2014, 12:18
Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
639 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Skala to Chora and back

The excellent SKAI hiking map shows this route with clarity as well.

Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
639 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Skala to Chora and back

Err, I meant the 'Terrain' brand map. Great stuff.

6. Re: From Skala to Chora and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Patmos