We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

malta
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

We will be doing a trip around Rhodes and Patmos and then go on to the Turkish mainland to visit the sites of the seven churches of the Apocalypse. We have our flights and hotels already booked. But we have now encountered a difficulty. We need to leave Patmos on Monday 25th August 2014 and somehow arrive in Kusadasi in Turkey. We had intended taking a ferry to Samos and then another ferry from Samos to Turkey. The problem is that I have not been able to find any ferries from Patmos to Samos on a Monday. Can anyone please suggest how to arrive from Patmos to Turkey on Monday 25th August 2014?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

The nearest to that date I can see is the Nissos Kalymos on a Sunday at 11.20 am arriving in Pythagorio at 3 pm so leaving a day early looks most likely. I believe there is a ferry from Vathy timed at 5 pm for Kusadasi so avoiding a one night stop on Samos. There are regular buses from Pythagorio to Vathy or in the event of the boat being late (a possibility) a taxi shouldn't cost too much as it is a relatively short journey.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

You're right, there's no ferry from Patmos to Samos on a Monday. The service runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.

There's no way of making the journey so that you arrive in Kusadasi on Monday 25th without leaving Patmos on Sunday 24th. If you'd intended to overnight on Samos and catch a ferry to Kusadasi on Tuesday morning, then you could leave Patmos as late as 23:55 on the Sunday and change ferries at Syros to reach Samos at 16:30 on Monday, but that's nearly a day of travelling.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

Not recommended though Andy.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

Well I wouldn't travel via Syros at all, that's for sure, but then I'd always allow a bit of flexibility in any island-hopping type holiday as well.It's been public knowledge for over 3 months that nobody was going to provide any extra service on Patmos-Samos over the basic subsidised 3 lifeline sailings a week, there have been several threads here already. Even in previous years the extra service was by hydrofoils so very prone to cancellation on windy days and liable to break down .It just isn't safe to plan a holiday round what is a very fragile link without a fallback plan!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

Have to agree with everything you say. I too wouldn't even think about venturing north from Patmos unless I was happy to wait for the Nissos Kalymnos to arrive (whenever that is) but it would be wrong to give the impression that Patmos is out on a limb as far as ferry connections are concerned now that Blue Star are offering a regular dependable Piraeus - Rhodes service calling at all islands down the line even though the timings are pretty lousy. There is also the small Cat running up and down the line but I wouldn't like to have to rely on that either.

Patmos is a lovely island and well worth visiting just in case anyone reading this thinks it is isolated and can't be reached.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

Yes indeed, compared to some of the previous ferry operators on the Piraeus-Rhodes route, Blue Star are perfection. A fleet of ships that is properly maintained, many built new for them, helpful crews, and timekeeping that's as good as could reasonably be expected on a route of this length.

The Dodekanisos Seaways catamarans fall into the same category, built for the job, mechanically reliable, one careful owner, run all year round, and punctual to the minute. Of course they are more likely to be kept in port by bad weather than a large car-ferry but they can cope with an extra two steps on the Beaufort Scale than the hydrofoils.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

I agree with everything Andy says, however while Blue Star is very reliable it has limited number of runs between Piraeus und Patmos 2 or 3 deepening on the direction, while in the good old Dane / GA days there was every day at least one boat......

I actuality like the Nissos Kalymons.It is wlays running late, but it you can pretty much rely in the fact that it will come eventually......

S

NYC
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

I am about to leave for Istanbul, Ephesus and Patmos and am having trouble figuring out how I can get between Samos and Patmos. The travel from Kusadasi to Samos is easy... but where can I see exactly what days of the week the Samos-Patmos ferries run, and how can I book those online? Help please!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

The only published connection is from Pythagorio on Tues, Fri and Sun on the NISSOS KALYMNOS. See the Gtp website for details. Link here http://www.gtp.gr/default.asp

There may be other (unpublished) schedules run by local boats. Enquire once you are on Samos.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patmos to Samos ferry on Monday

www.gtp.gr is the go to place for ferry times. The days the ferry sails are Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

Buying on line doesn't seem possible. You'll need to buy when you get to Samos - everyone else will be in the same boat :) so there's no need to worry about finding space on board.

Get answers to your questions about Patmos