We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting the most for your money

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Getting the most for your money

This isn't specific to Rhodes as it will be true anywhere in the Eurozone, but as we've just returned from Rhodes this seemed as good a place as any to post.

In Lindos the exchange rate on offer was 1.21 euro to the £. I've just checked the statement for my Nationwide Flexaccount and I was getting close to 1.26. That's about 4% more for your money. If you don't already have a Flexaccount then think about it seriously before your next trip.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting the most for your money

Absolutely!

Thankyou for that. Myself, ConnySir, GB, Joe & several others have continually been saying it's the best & most cost effective way to get your euros.

Keep speading the word, although there are a few diehards that insist on cash, or worse still Travellers Cheques!

Burton, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting the most for your money

Yes Keitht...I also checked also the same....Did not see you at the airport on Wednesday by the way...But did speak to a small looking chap with a Beard along with his wife with a Gloucester accent(Was not you by any chance).....Comeing back at Rhodes airport...

I think i was the unlucky one having gone back to the A.T.M machine twice...In Lindos to find no money available in the Machine(Empty of money)(got some in the end)Should have gone be for the coach loads came(lol)....

(Not check this one out yet)If any one has a Derbyshire Building account...You should be able to get the same as the Nationwide soon as both have now merged together with one another....Was hoping to get a a bit of a wind full as i also have an account with the darbyshire...But Alas NO....Easy way out not having to pay out to every one....By merging..

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting the most for your money

We also used Nationwide card at atm in Ixia.

Same as you guys got just on 1.26 local exchange rate was 1.22 euro to the £.

We always take travellers cheques as backup issued commission free from Co-op Bank and i always check before we go where its free to cash them just in case normally Alpha Bank in Greece.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting the most for your money

Many things are different from country to country, or from bank to bank.

Up to now, I've never found a bank that would give me a fair exchange for my euros. In fact, Greek banks tend to rip us off when we use cash cards abroad, credit cards are even worst!

This is why I always carry cash and pray that I won't need to use any cards, apart from giving my CC as a deposit at the hotel's front desk.

BTW, I know TCs still exist, I really wonder who uses them though...

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting the most for your money

Like mrsjock, I always take some Sterling t/cs with me as an emergency backup. It's nice to have something available in case the ATM decides to eat the card. I get mine commission free so there is no cost involved in taking them. If I don't use them I either pay them back into my bank or simply hang on to them until the next trip.

6. Re: Getting the most for your money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 12:25
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes