We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend are both in our mid-20's. Our main interests when on a sun holiday are eating good, local dishes, relaxing by the pool the odd day and sightseeing interesting places for the rest. We're both good swimmers and love the sea. Our idea of a night out would be a good meal, a bottle of wine, and a few drinks in a nice pub. However we might like to party one or two nights so somewhere with a bit of nightlife would be good!

With that in mind could anyone suggest, in their opinion, the best resort on Rhodes for us?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

Hi there

Most of the good resorts are along the sheltered east coast - this is where you'll find all the best sandy beaches too. "Quiet" and "party" don't really go hand-in-hand so you might need to make a small compromise.

If you just want relative peace and quiet with a good beach and some bars and tavernas, consider Haraki, Kalathos, Afantou, Stegna or Kolymbia. None have any real nightlife scene so you would need to look at spending a couple of evenings in one of the livelier resorts or busing up to Rhodes Town/Old Town where you can find all the nightlife you want.

The livelier resorts would be Falaraki (nowhere near as frenetic as it was a few years ago), Lindos and Pefkos. All three have great beaches, lots to do and see and of course, some decent nightlife. All are much busier places though so you'd have to weigh up the pros and cons. Lindos is lovely - a village resort in a uniqure location overlooked by the Acropolis. Pefkos is a family/couples type place with plenty of bars and restaurants.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

To jonnyfingers. Dont rule out Faliraki. Yes it has clubs & bars for the 18-30s but these are located in just 2 streets in the centre. The big hotels are mostly near Kallithia. There are lots of self catering apartments on the outskirts such as at Kathara Bay the southern end of Faliraki beach. Faliraki is a good base for visiting Lindos, Rhodes Town etc.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

I'm leaning towards Lindos at the moment. However I might consider Falaraki but I am wary of resorts famous for 18-30 holidays. Is there an old town in Falaraki? Or does it have some nice Greek style restaurants away from all the British and Irish style restaurants/bars?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

Hi again jonny

It's easy to avoid the Bar St area of Faliraki Plenty of far more authentic places to drink and dine in the resort away from the Bar St area so don't worry.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,438 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

I think you'd be happy in either Lindos or Rhodes Town. Both offer exactly what you're looking for though in my opinion Lindos being smaller, seems a friendlier resort.

As others have said Faliraki isn't all 18-30s and you can find decent restaurants but there's no old town area. It's a purpose built resort which suits some but you won't find the character you would in Rhodes Old Town or Lindos.

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

There is no "old town" as such. because traditionally Faliraki was the fishing harbour for the neighbouring village of Kalithies. The area around the harbour has been done up suberbly in recent years. The only thing to you need to avoid in Faliraki is Club and Bar Street, apart from that there are superb restaurants, quieter bars, and as you are located centrally you can go out to different places at night if you wish, Rhodes Town, Lindos, or go inland to Pastida or the quaint village of Maritsa, which has some very nice restaurants nearly all full of locals as there is only 1 guestroom in the village.

fife
Level Contributor
161 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

afandou is not a bad option to be honest either very quiet place, but if you fancy a night out you can nip into falaraki as it is only a bus ride away.

falaraki is really a nice place me and my girlfriend are the same prefer quiter holidays

but really enjoyed falaraki we didnt go their for the clubs or the drinking was just a really nice place, same the press has always given it a bad right up

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

Afandou gives you the choice of having a quiet night there or a taxi to Faliraki which is only about 5 minutes or so away. Also there is the bus service if you want to go to the beach at Faliraki during the day, a lot sandier than Afandous beach. Personally I love Afandou its like a magnet drawing me back there year after year, the people are very friendly and there are some great bars and restaurants. There are also a couple of nightclubs there, although I have never been in them.

9. Re: Best resort for young couple looking for a quiet holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 19:20