We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovering southern Rhodes area

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Discovering southern Rhodes area

On my last trip to Rhodes I covered much of the northern part of the island, but never went to the southern part as I couldn't find much information on that area. I would like to go there this trip, but I am looking for advice from anyone who has gone there as to what sights and areas to see. I do love beautiful beaches/sites and ofcouse any history. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

Hi go to www.southrhodes.gr Has quite a lot of info on villages etc

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,738 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

Here is an album which covers a around the island trip. Many of the photos are from the southern part of the island. "Lysbildevisning" means "View slideshow".

http://tinyurl.com/2j7a4b

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

Hi there

Here are a few suggestions to make the most of a day or two in the southern part of the island.

Prasonissi - where the Aegean and Med meet and are separated by a narrow sand bar. Lots of watersports and a vast beach area.

Monolithos - lovely village plus a ruined Knights castle on top of a 700 foot rock pinnacle.

Fourni beach - one of the loveliest and most secluded on the island, plus it's huge "hanging" boulder

Asklepio - a charming rural village just inland from Kiotari. Very traditional, open braed ovens, lovely church, folklore museum and a track that leads to a ruined castle from where the views and tranquility are just superb

Lardos - not the resort but the old village. Some lovely architecture, a beautiful church and the old Italian fountain. Decent tavernas as well

Kameiros - ancient Minoan site set on a hillside overlooking the sea and backed by pines. Breathtaking.

Embonas - a winery, need I say more?

There are many isolated monasteries in the south centre of the island, any decent road map will show where they all are.

Mentioned in this post
Fourni Beach
Fourni Beach
77 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Kiotari
Kiotari
Rhodes, Greece
Lardos
Lardos
Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

Thank you so much for such great advice. I copied each one and what to see it all, which will take more than one day. So I will need to spend a night there- is there a place mid way that you could recommend for the night? Maybe in the Fourni Beach area???

Mentioned in this post
Fourni Beach
Fourni Beach
77 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

I just went on more than 10 sites and can not find any places listed to spend the night even remotely near Prasonissi. Actually I couldn't even find a road on google maps going there (although I know there must be) Should I just take my chances and go there hoping to find a place to spend the night? Risky?

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

take a look at the attached link with some hotel ideas for Prasonisi

http://www.prasonisi.com/hotel.php

Mentioned in this post
Prasonisi Beach
Prasonisi Beach
1,030 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

Hi again

I don't think you've mentioned which time of the year you intend visiting the island. Unless it's in the peak time of July/August, you should be able to find accommodation pretty much anywhere without the need to pre-book. The road down to Prasonissi is approx three quarters of the way along the road from Hohklakas to Kattavia, turning on the left. It used to be a very rough road until it was widened and "black-topped" just a few years ago which is possibly why it doesn't show on Google Earth

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,738 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

Both Prasonissi and the road leading there are shown in the album I provided the link for above.

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

I will be travelling down there July 29th adn 30th, so I'll get back to work trying to find a place as it doesn't seem like a good idea at that time of year to just assume I will find a place. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!

10. Re: Discovering southern Rhodes area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 13:17