We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhodes or Kefalonia?

u.k
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Rhodes or Kefalonia?

I had finally made up my mind that we would holiday in Rhodes this year and a friend said her mum didn't like Rhodes as much as Kefalonia. What would you say

Rhodes has that should make it my choice over Kefalonia. We prefer places with lots of history and quaint villages,etc.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhodes or Kefalonia?

We have been to both islands. Not that we are in any way biased but much prefer Rhodes . To such extent we are moving there in May. For history & sights Rhodes has much , much more to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhodes or Kefalonia?

I could also be considered biased but like the previous reply I have been to both islands and now live on Rhodes.

Kefalonia is a beautiful island and we enjoyed our stay there. However given that you want lots of history and quaint villages I believe Rhodes has a lot more to offer you than you will find on Kefalonia.

Rhodes has history at every turn and as for quaint villages there are many. Whilst most tourists stick to their sunbeds by the pool or on the beach the villages are relatively quiet and very local.

Living in Afandou I would recommend it as a place to stay for anyone looking to take a holiday amongst the locals going about their everyday lives. It is well situated on the east coast half way between Rhodes Town and Lindos. All of the east coast bays and beaches are easily accessable.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Afandou
Afandou
Rhodes, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
u.k
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhodes or Kefalonia?

Thank you for your feedback. I think we will try Rhodes too. Are the local buses cheap to use to get around the island? We visited Italy last year and the buses are great out there,didn't need to use tour reps,we did it all ourselves.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Italy
Italy
Europe
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhodes or Kefalonia?

Hi there

I will echo the sentiments already posted here. I love both islands but they are as different as chalk and cheese. Kefalonia is a beautiful island, there's no doubt about it, but if it's historic sites you seek, it just can't compete with Rhodes.

Rhodes is replete with sites of Hellenic, Minoan and Medieval origins and has an interior full of lovely villages, old monasteries and lovely scenery. It's much easier to get around on Rhodes as well, it has a far better bus service than anywhere on Kefalonia

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Rowley Regis...
Level Contributor
119 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhodes or Kefalonia?

hi kgreek could you tell me if tavernas are doing a set 2/3 course meal in afandou as i wiil be staying @ the georgia apparts in july with my 2 daughters,as i am trying to work out how much money i will need ,as i havent been to rhodes before where else do you recommend to eat at night?and my daughters want there hairs braided have you seen this being done ?and how much does it cost?sorry so many questions !!!!!lol if you can think of any more tips on places to visit ect (i love boat trips)any info would be great .many thanks

6. Re: Rhodes or Kefalonia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 06:25