We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see spots in Old Town

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Must see spots in Old Town

I am going to be in Rhodes in early May as part of a cruise. I will have about 8 hours there. I am not taking a guided excursion but plan to hit the area using my guide book. What do you all consider the must sees and are there any that I won't find in my guidebook? I am planning on doing the Palace of the Grand Masters, Street of the Knights, etc.

What are the hidden gems?

Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

Hi there

In my opinion, all of the Old Town is a "must see". All the guide books list the principal sights. For the best views across the rooftops, take the climb to the top of the old Clocktower, this is situated on "Orfeos St". It's a bit of a squeeze in some places through some narrow trap doors but the view is reward enough.

There are several lovely mosques although I don't think you can go into any of them and loads of churches. Then there's the remains of the Temple of Aphrodite, close to the Tarsanas gate. All the gates are stunning, heavily fortified as are the walls which you can take a walk along on certain days of the week.

Then of course, if you like shopping, there are loads of shops along Sokratous, the main east/west street where you can buy jewellery, leather goods and much more.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

Thanks for the info. Do you have a favorite out of the way spot that most tourists tend to skip?

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

I would suggest you spend some of your time to walk through the moat which gives you a different view of the old town and if you are able to visit when there are not many other people present, it can give you the impression of what Rhodes Town may have felt back in history.

The moat tends to be undiscovered by many visitors and hence not as busy although I am sure part of that reason is that the entrances to the moat are not well highlighted

Edited: 22 March 2010, 19:48
Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

Admission to the clock tower is 4 euros. It is owned by a Turk

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

Thanks for the advice. The walk through the moat sounds good. I will also put the clock tower on the list.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

Another question - is there a spice market in the Old Town area? I really want to buy some spices and not sure if Rhodes, Athens, or Santorini would be the better location. Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

I suggest that you wait until you are in Athens and go for the market there.

You may find spices packed for tourists in different shops around the islands, but the "real thing" is to buy them fresh from the markets.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

Hi again

if you do go to Athens, there are a load of little shops selling loose herbs and spices on Evripidou St. To find Evripidou St, walk west down Ermou until you reach the junction with Athinas St ( right by Monastiraki Square), turn right into Athinas St, and Evripidou St crosses it either way just before you reach the markets.

9. Re: Must see spots in Old Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes