We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Merseyside
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Hi,

We are due to travel to Rhodes on 5th May and checked with Thomson if the flights are cancelled/ situation and they have 'no information available'. Just checked link below which says there are no flights in and out of Greece or over their airsapce for 48 hrs from 4th May(strike now extended).

Has anyone had any info from their airline?

Here is the link http://www.easytravelreport.com/

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

We are also flying to Rhodes on the 5th.

Same info from Thomas Cook. Check in as normal.

There is more info on the following thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k35…

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

check this thread which I just posted:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k3599…

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Hi Roula

So are the Greek Air Traffic Controllers cancelling their Rodos Palace party on 5 May ?

Cheers

Eddie

Merseyside
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Thanks, I have just spoken to Thomson again who have confirmed the strike but have said they have not made a statement about cancellations etc but will be contacting travellers via e mail but are now aware there is a strike.

Not terribly helpful and when I pursued this they stated their usual policy is to either offer a full refund or rebook for a later date.

Turning up at the airport on Wednesday seems pointless if they know at this stage they are not flying, don't particularly want to waste a days annual leave sitting at the airport only to be told to go home.. especially at 5 am!

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Eddie, that is a very good question. I'm guessing they're going to fly in on May 6, because they certainly won't be taking the ferry (that's on strike too). Where I failed yesterday was in not investigating the start time of the conference... I assumed it was morning... but on further reading it appears that the conference doesn't start until 6pm. So much for thinking I had the inside info LOL!!!!!

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

John you are absolutely right - it is up to Thomson's at this point to take care of you with their excellent Customer Service ... good luck... I hope you get here soon!!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Thanks for the post. I'm pretty sure they won't do anything to spoil their own fun at the Rodos Palace.

Please keep us updated on any news Roula. The situation in Greece has been on the TV news & in the newspapers every day in the UK but you can't beat having the inside info !!

Cheers

Eddie

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Hello Direct Holidays have told a customer the strike will be from 21.00 on 4th May to 21.00 On 5th May

So disruption to night, morning,afternoon & early evening flights.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

Tpebop, I sure hope it's not true! So far that hasn't been reported in the Greek media that I read but things are evolving quickly...

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek air traffic strike May 4th

I don't want to get political Roula, but do the Greek trade unions really think that the economic reality in Greece doesn't apply to them ? Do they really think that their government has any choice other than to impose these measures ? Either they do it or they don't get the money & Greece will collapse into anarchy. The early retirements & ghost jobs are over guys. Welcome to our world.

I did laugh 2 nights ago when I was watching the news on TV. The BBC correspondent in Athens reported that the IMF representatives had discovered that the Greek civil service was 'quite inefficient'. Didn't we all know that ? Apparently the IMF didn't LOL.

Get answers to your questions about Rhodes
Recent Conversations