We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange Rates

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange Rates

Hey

I am mulling over whether to convert cash to Euro's over here (commission free) or wait until I get over there.

The rates are usually better in Rhodes but then I have to factor in the commission cost.

A long shot, but to anyone out there now or indeed living there, have u noticed the rate advertised in agencies/exchange offices.

Cheers

Mart

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange Rates

I have no idea of the current exchange rate (maybe Eddie can help?) but I often find there's very little in it. You normally get a slightly better rate over there but take off the 2% commission and it's pretty comparable. I tend to take enough euros to see me through the first week or so and the rest in sterling to exchange as and when needed. That way you only have the euros you need and won't get ripped off converting any back on your return.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange Rates

Hey Marcus

Thanks, I was just curious, I suppose it would need a significant difference to make it worthwhile, factoring in the commission over there.

I may just exchange the lot over here (comm free) and use the safe in my room/reception and avoid the commission all together.

Just have to make sure I don't have too many 'rip-off' miniature cans of Stella/Heineken on the plane and lose/forget my flight bag with dosh in it.

Cheers la!

Mart

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange Rates

Hi Mart

Forget about the 'commission free' thing. As Marcus said the rate they give you will probably be a cent or 2 worse than in Lindos so it makes no significant difference. If you have a choice, as you do, then why not support a local Lindian business rather than a multinational bank or other corporate exchange business ?

And if you change £100 in Lindos & lose 1 point, which is unlikely anyway,

you've lost 1 euro. I have much more important things to think about like what shall I have for lunch when I go to Pallas Beach in half an hour !

Cheers

Eddie

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange Rates

Hey Eddie

I didn't consider it from that angle, fair point!

On your way down to Pallas can u check out the rate :-)

Only messin!!

Enjoy your lunch

Cheers

Mart

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange Rates

I'll go via St Pauls Bay & see if there's any weddings too !

Shrimp saganaki I think.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange Rates

Hey

Some feedback as to this seasons colour and style of kilt may b useful

Mart

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange Rates

Hi,

Glad you're keeping a check on the weddings Eddie. You may get a job as a Page Boy! Heard you've had a quick chat with Peggy.

Last year I ordered currency from crown currency exchange in June and all was well. I ordered more currency in August for my October visit and they went bust 4 days before I left. I was in town today and they were offering 1.08 to the pound. When I go in July I'm going to get enough to see me through the first few days and then use the ATM in Lindos. When I did this last year I got almost commercial rate so after paying the 2% it was still better than getting it in the UK. If I want to pay for things on a credit card I use my Post Office card which doesn't charge you and gives you a good rate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

DAVE

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange Rates

At our bank in the village at the moment £1 = € 1.13

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange Rates

Hey

Thanks for the reply Trevor, that gives me something to go on.

Cheers

Mart

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchange Rates

Hey Dave

Thanks for your response, I usually use the ATM facility but always find myself losing track of the balance I have left in my account. One of these years I will get one of these fee free cards (is it Santander that do one now rather than Nationwide) cos as u know solo travelling can prove expensive and every Euro counts sometimes.

Although I do like the idea of contributing to the Lindian economy as mentioned earlier. Or in my case on this trip, the Pefki, Lardos and Lindos economy.

Cheers

Mart