We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Rhodes?

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on Rhodes?

My only visit to Rhodes was about 4 years ago when I stayed in Pefkos for a week. I didn't really like it as I felt it was too British for my taste. Also my son had an accident (not serious but still stressful at the time) and it's difficult not to let that cloud my opinion of the holiday.

I would like to try Rhodes again but I don't know where to stay.

I have trawled through the forum for information and it seems that maybe Lindos would suit me best. Then I read about the bars and discos, so not too sure.

To give an idea of what I would like is a village with a Greek feel, a decent beach and handful of restaurants to give a reasonable selection for a week.

Previous Greek holidays I have enjoyed have been to Lesbos, Thassos, Naxos, Stoupa and particularly Parga.

Can anyone suggest somewhere on Rhodes that might suit?

Because of school holidays, we will probably want to go towards the end of July.

My other option is to put a similar post on the Crete forum. I've never been there but would like to go.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

Hi there

I'm sorry your lad had a accident but it'salso a shame to let that incident cloud your view of a beautiful island. Lindos would be fine - it's hardly the nightlife capital of the island and what clubs there are, are easy enough to avoid. Everywhere has bars, you won't avoid that wherever you head for.

Lindos is in an unique location, has great beaches, loads of history to take in, some great walks in the area, it's on the bus route to Rhodes Town and has some very good restaurants and tavernas. It does get loads of daytrippers but these have mostly cleared off by 4pm.

If you do want somewhere more peaceful then look at Stegna, Haraki or Afandou but do bear in mind that late July is approaching peak season and everywhere wil be busy.

If you also fancy looking at Crete, then do post there for some further info.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

Thanks for that. I don't mind busy, just not 'British' busy. I'm not sure that makes sense but hopefully you'll know what I mean!

If Lindos is on a bus route to Rhodes town, that would be useful as I don't drive. When we were there before, we just stayed in Pefkos and you can't judge an island on one restort. We do normally get on some trips but with the incident with my son and the fact that it was in the middle of a heatwave, we never made it anywhere.

I'm sure that on my Greek travels, someone has recommended Haraki to me.

Do you know much about Haraki?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

Jeff

Pefkos is indeed very British in feel, but Lindos is pretty much the polar opposite, in a very good way.

Lindos does have quite a good nightlife now (we were there the last two weeks, and it's much busier now than previous visits, but that I suspect was largely due to the Rhodes Rock festival). I've not actually stayed in Lindos, so I can't comment first hand, but from walking around late at night I've found that the noise tends to get dampened by the close proximity of the buildings and the narrow windy streets/paths, so whilst it may be quite noisy in places, you don't have to walk far and you can barely hear anything. Lindos also appeals to the more mature visitor, so you won't finding brawling boozed up louts falling out of clubs at 3am. I think the police enforce a noise order too, with bars having to turn off music at about 12am.

I think LIndos would tick all the right boxes for you, but try to make sure you don't get an apartment too near one of the livelier bars if noise is a concern. That shouldn't be too hard. Also bare in mind that Lindos can be challenging to those with walking difficulties (a point the travel agent failed to tell my mother when she booked to come over for our wedding some years ago).

As an alternative, there's Lardos nearby. It's a much more traditional Rhodes village, but strikes a nice balance between being small and tradiditional, but not completely dead. Great hospitality and food, with just a handful of bars in the main square.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

Thank you, that's really useful. I see that someone else has posted a similar question and I think Lardos may be just about right for us. I hadn't considered this before so I really appreciate your help.

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

Jeff, you mentioned a heatwave when you were there last time. It can also be very hot at the end of July/August if any of your family are particularly susceptible. Lindos, because of its topography, is also usually a few degrees hotter than anywhere else on the island. Enjoy your trip, whereever you end up!

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

Thanks I appreciate that. I seem to remember that there were mountains (maybe that is a big of an exageration) behind the resort of Pefkos and that's what made it particularly hot there.

I don't mind the heat at all but when we in Pefkos it was unbearable. If there was a breath of wind it was like a hair dryer blowing and it seemed that you could almost chew the air.

I have been all around Greece in August but never experienced anything like it.

northampton
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

Could anyone reccomend a good hotel in Lindos, I want to go in September and would rather have a reccomended hotel than just take a chance!

8. Re: Where to stay on Rhodes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 13:19