We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
116 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

I wonder if you can give me re-assurance that its OK to book via travel republic.

for the past 3 holidays I have booked the flight and accommodation separately usually via Olympic Holidays as they have been the cheapest.

Now looking at going to Pefkos in early October so went to Olympic - they are charing £127 for a self catering studio for a week and travel republic are charging £88 - thats quite a big difference for the same room!!!

Is it OK to go through Travel Republc and do you get good rooms??

Also, what is considered a good price for a flight from Gatwick to Rhodes??

Thanks

Blackcat73

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

Have a look @ The Island Blue cancellation thread

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

Hi, my friends always book through Travel Republic when they go to Rhodes Town in September, and they've never had any problems. When you take out your insurance, make sure you have independant traveller included.

Enjoy your holiday

Ann

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

I have booked accommodation both with Olympic and Travel Republic.

I have had a problem with both. Olympic have representatives that can do something when things go wrong locally.

Travel Republic are just agents as far as hotel bookings go which are made through non ABTA suppliers and when things go wrong they will just pass the buck to their supplier. They are are also very difficult to contact when you are in foreign parts and the third party accommodation suppliers refuse to deal with you locally in the resort.

So beware, it's when things go wrong Travel Republic, and their 3rd party suppliers are shown to be lacking.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
116 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

Thanks for your feedback. I have also emailed the hotel direct on Friday but not had a response yet!

I've done a bit more digging and found more prices - but again - are they going to provide the support if things go wrong!!

Alpha room £84.71

Holiday nights £84

On the beach £92.12

Med Hotels £95.78

Flightline £90.34

Alternatively, get a package deal with Olympic at £650 or Thomas Cook £663 - there's about a £100 difference between separate bookings vs package deal, which could go towards a weeks car hire.

Such a dilemma!

Blackcat73

Wirral
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

Hi There

I have booked several holidays through Travel Republic and I must admit, I have never had a problem with them. However I have heard a few stories so maybe I have been lucky. I have booked to go to Rhodes in September and once I had paid my balance, I e-mailed the hotel directly to make sure they had my booking which they confirmed they had. I have done this several times - Rhodes, Skiathos, Kefalonia etc. I would recommend them but only on my own personal experience of them.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

Hi we booked this years holiday with Travel Republic and they have cancelled our hotel they said due to overbookings!!

We booked our holiday in December and it was paid in full, they cancelled with 3 weeks to go.

We had originally booked to stay at Island Blue in Pefkos Travel Republic gave us 1 alternative hotel which is in Ixia, we requested a hotel like for like in Pefkos but they refused this and said we can either take what they offered or get our money back for hotel only.

This dragged on for 12 days with phone calls everyday to see what they had to offer and everyday they would tell us that they are sttill waiting on answer from their hotel provider, so hence when we finally got told Friday Ixia or money back for hotel we had no alternative but to go to Ixia as everything decent in Pefkos either fully booked or out of our price range.

We have used Travel Republic before and been ok but wont take the risk again!!

Deb

7. Re: Booking studio via Travel Republic - is it safe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 13:18