We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

USA
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Recommendations on what to do? I read some of the other posts which included walking around the old town. Any other things to do near by?

Any beaches that are not too far (Faliraki or Kalithea)? How would I get to them from the old city?

Where is the shopping area?

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Hi,

If you are on a day stop it depends what you want to do. See some of the history or spend the day on a beach. There is a beach in Rhodes called Elli Beach just up from Mandraki Harbour. If you want to go to Kalithea you can get a bus from the terminus near the port. They leave at 1000, 1200, 1330, 1420,1520 and return at 1230, 1345, 1515,1610 and1840.

I would suggest that a visit to the Old Town is a must as it is full of history. A visit to the Palace of the Grand Masters is fascinating and can take well over an hour. Walk the Street of the Knights, The Old Clock Tower with views over the city and the Grand Mosque. The Old Town is full of shops and tavernas so no shortage of shopping or eating opportunites. You could then walk around the harbour itself. The New Town has plenty of shopping opportunites as well and is not far from the harbour and bus terminus.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a super time.

Cheers

Dave

USA
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Thanks for your help Dave. Regarding Kalithea, when I look at the bus schedule I see there are 2 bus stations, one on the east side and one on the west. What is the difference? When I look at the schedules it shows buses leaving every half hour.

What are the differences between Kalithea beach and Faliraki beach??

Can you tell me what the Street of the Knights is - I looked it up but couldnt find it.

How far is the New Town from the port? How do I get to it?

Thanks again!

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Hi again,

There are 2 bus companies on Rhodes which serve the different sides of the island. The company you need to use is KTEL and the terminus is behind the New Market at Rimini Square. I've just returned from Lindos and picked up a bus timetable but did give you slightly inaccurate info. I quoted you the times of the buses that go from Rhodes to Kalthea only. There are other buses and the times you quote are for the buses that go through Kalithea on the way to Faliraki. Sorry for that mistake. It's difficult to give you exact directions on line but if you go on line and get a map of Rhodes you should see the New Market. The bus terminus you need is behind that. You will need to go to the ticket office and they will tell you the bus number you need.

I think you'll find that Kalithea Beach is the better of the 2. The waters are crystal clear and many dive companies use this area for training. You could also visit the Spa which is very good and was built by the Italians. It also shouldn't be as busy as Faliraki.

The Street of the Knights is just a street in the Old Town where the Knights of the Order of St John used to live. You will see the individual houses with the coat of arms of each knight above them.

The New Town is about 15/20 minutres walk from the port.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,092 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Market

http://tinyurl.com/3hr6853

Bus stop

http://tinyurl.com/3ry4tou

Tyneside
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

I think you have three choices - hire a car and do a day tour of the island - its possible and it could give you a taste of the island for future trips.

The second option is to settle yourself down on a beach and spend the day relaxing - you can get to a beach (such as Faliraki or Kalithea as already discussed above) by bus or better still take a car and make for a quieter cove.

My personal recommendation though, would be to stay in Rhodes town - you mention you are interested in shopping so there will be plenty to see in the new town for serious shopping and then in the Old town for souvenir-type shopping. As for sight-seeing and historical interest you really cannot surpass the old town. The Medieval Town is now a World Heritage Site - "one of the best preserved medieval towns in Europe".

I have included a link here which may help you decide which part of the island to go to. I should point out this is not a tourist info site as such - it is a commercial site which offers tours (with which I have no link, I might add!) but I have found it useful to show our friends pictures of the island.

http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/index.htm

Old and new towns, harbour and port are all fairly compact so you should easily be able to take in a lot in one day.

USA
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Wow that was all exremely helpful!! Thanks Dave, I agree with you on Kalifea beach as well.

Is anyone familiar with Rodini Park? Is it walking distance from the port? Looks beautiful!

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Hi again,

The one thing you have not said is how long you are actually on Rhodes. I spoke to many American cruise passengers in Lindos during the last 3 weeks and they had arrived at 0800 in the morning and sailed again at 1900, not leaving much time.

To hire a car and try and do the Island in 1 day is, to me, a non starter as you would not have time to really see much at all. Whilst it's not a huge Island there is so much to see and to try and do it in 1 day would not allow you to take in all it has to offer. If you are going to Kalithea I would still go for the bus option as it is far cheaper than renting a car. If you want to rent a car then I would not bother with either Kalithea or Faliraki. You could go to Tsambika Beach, considered to be the best beach on the island and also visit the Monatery which involves a climb of over 200 steps. It's where women who cannot have children go and climb the steps in bare feet in the hope they will concieve. If they do then the child is called Tsambiko for a boy or Tsambika for a girl. An alternative is Agathi Beach which is next to Haraki. Go on the beach for a while and then go into Haraki and have a meal at one of the many beach side tavernas. It's really nice.

As I said in my original response the choice is yours. If you are going to be overnight in Rhodes then you could do the beach until mid afternoon and then the Old Town in the evening which is really good for a meal and some late night souvenier shopping.

Cheers

Dave

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,092 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Tsambika Beach

http://tinyurl.com/3r5cpm7

Monastery

http://tinyurl.com/3pwpvvz

http://tinyurl.com/3pr8jvk

However, my advice will also be to stay in town.

Old Town

http://tinyurl.com/czvsch

Rhodes Town

http://tinyurl.com/d5xz9o

Edited: 27 July 2011, 23:17
USA
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

Sorry - I will be in Rhodes just for the day from 8am to 6pm. As I do not want to rent a car, I think I will take the bus to Kalithea beach for a little and walk arounf the old town as well.

Any one have any info on Rodini Park????

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rhodes for 1 day - cruise stop

I believe taking a trip to Kallithea to see a beach is a waste of your time if you are only in Rhodes for a day. Your time would be better spent staying in Rhodes Town and if you wanted to use a beach, you could visit the beach in Rhodes Town which is walking distance from the harbour.

Every place of interest in Rhodes Town is also walking distance from the harbour.