We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Record visitors to Rhodes

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Record visitors to Rhodes

Visitor numbers to Rhodes in July 2011 were reported to be at their highest level comapred with previous years,with British arivals having the highest persentage of visitors in July.

http://www.athensnews.gr/portal/9/45836

I have never seen the old town as busy as I saw it last night and it was still heaving at 10.30pm!

mid wales
Level Contributor
240 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

That's really good news for the island.

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

it certainly is, my friend "happy to help" works in the travel industry and says there are no vacancies anywhere! thats fantastic and we certainly need it. i just hope all these hotels, etc, get paid by the tour operators and then they can pay their workers, cos at the moment i know a few people who are working but not getting paid, and haven't been paid since may!

how is it that when you pay for a package holiday with your travel agent, and presumably the money is sent to the hotels/apartments or whatever, the workers still dont get paid?! Something is not right and needs to be sorted out.

i also know that some travel agents hold on to money, which should rightfully go to the accommodation owners, but dont pass it on until the end of the season, and sometimes not even then. Xl was a prime example of this.

No wonder this country is in a mess

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

Wonderful news, Jamkart! Thank you very much for sharing!

Peppermilly, indeed TOs and TAs find various ways and excuses in order to pay later, pay less or even not pay at all.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

That's good to hear jamkart, we will be be doing our best to add to the island's economy in a few weeks' time as well.

We have known a few accommodation owners who have not been paid until the end of the season, and those who haven't been paid at all until the beginning of the following year's season.That's why our friends in Crete chopped and changed between UK-based tour operators for a few years before telling them all to shove it. They received a pittance for their rooms anyway, so having to wait in some cases for a year to get paid just added insult to injury.

The UK-based tour industry is their own worst enemy, but they're too thick to realise that. They'll soon be moaning though when all Greek accommodation owners do as our friend did and tell them to take a hike.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

Many did the same in Agia Marina, Aegina, GB!

It was a difficult first couple of years but now they are all very happy and so are we (regular visitors) because at one point the place was turning into a tiny Laganas, Malia etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

Good afternoon Thalia!! Good to hear that the accommodation owners on Aregina have seen the light as well.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

Tour Operators have never been the best payers. You often have a guarantee of being fully booked x amount of months though the room rate is poor and rarely paid on time. That said you can play them. A friend of mine went with a TO from new build, It helped him build a repeat client base and a good internet presence with glowing reviews. He can now go it alone knowing he can fill AND get a decent room rate.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

The issue of tour operators holding onto/not paying accom owners is all too common and a deliberate tactic employed by them. They hold the owners to ransom owing them large amounts of money and then negotiate a discount with them in return for a reduced payment. At the same time the TOs' dictate to the owners who have to make their rooms available to the TO and only get paid for the rooms which are filled and not the ones that are empty.

The apartments where we stay in Crete used to be contracted to a TO and had all sorts of dirty tactics played on them. They were owed a large amount of money but were paid a portion of it in return for writing off the balance. Then the TO went into administration about 2 & a half years ago owing a huge amount and the owners never saw a penny. This money was paid to the TO by customers, the accom owners had to cover the expense of looking after these customers without receiving the money from the TO.

The apartments in question had one year of difficulty whilst trying to build up a private customer base (many of whom had previously booked with the TO in prior years) and the good news now is that they are now doing well and are having a very good season. But I know that several apartment owners in the resort where we stay are on their uppers and finding it difficult to survive thanks to the underhand and dirty tactics by the TOs' they are contracted to. And with the explosion in the scourge of AI holidays mercilessly pushed by the tour operators this just exacerbates the problem.

How glad I now travel independently without the need to give a tour operator any of my hard earned money. I give it straight to the apartment owner when I'm out there so I know he gets it and then we are both happy.

9. Re: Record visitors to Rhodes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:16