We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

Rome, Italy
3 posts
Save Topic
First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

I am a college student traveling for a 3 day weekend in early October with my girlfriend. From what I've read, Old Rhodes is a must see and there is bus service to most of the island.

I have found some reasonably priced hotels in the city of Rhodes. We were thinking of staying there for the 3 days and taking trips to see other parts of the island such as Lindos.

Is that what you guys would recommend? Its seems like the city is amazing but we also want to see the beaches as well. Is it best to stay in the city of Rhodes and travel other places? And what should I expect in terms of cost when traveling to another city, for example Lindos?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

For doing day excursions on the island for other towns\villages and beaches Rhodes town is the obvious choice - being the hub for public transport around the island. You will also have the Old Town at your doorstep, which can well occupy you for one day.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 20:21
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

I agree totally with greek-traveller. Rhodes town has so much to see, and has a much wider choice of accommodation. This link gives you an indication of the bus service to Lindos (and everywhere else) but best to check when you get there.

http://www.oasis-hotel.gr/buses/index.htm

I would think that the one-way bus fare to Lindos should be about 4 - 5E, and would take about an hour, but that is a guess. Alternatively, but more expensive, you can probably get a boat from Rhodes Town to Lindos. In Lindos the main season ends at the end of October, but the weather will still be hot in early October, and everywhere will still be open.

The beaches in Rhodes are not quite as good as some other islands. The ones in Lindos are usually very crowded, with the possible exception of St. Paul's Bay at the southern end of the village. Rhodes Town has several beaches within a few minutes walk of the harbour, and will probably not be as crowded, thought they are not all sandy and some are exposed to the wind. Zephyros beach is much quieter and sandy, but is about 30 minutes walk from the harbour. If windsurfing is your thing, head off a few miles West of Rhodes Town to the pebble beaches of Ixia, Ialyssos and Trianda.

Hope this helps.

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

Hi Andrew,

If you're only there for 3 days then you will be limited to what you can see and do. Rhodes Old Town is a must see. Visit the Palace of the Grand Masters, walk the Street of the Knights of St John, visit the Old Clock Tower and look at the Grand Mosque. After that walk along the harbour area and visit the New Market where the food and drink are a lot cheaper.

As far as Lindos is concerned it is well worth a visit. I would suggest getting the local bus service from the terminus behind the New Market. The service runs about every hour and costs 5€ each way. The bus drops you off at Krana Square and there is a free shuttle bus down to the village (leave a tip for the driver!). I assume you are relatively young so a walk up to the Acropolis is a must (5€ admission fee) or you can get a Lindian Taxi (donkey) for 5€. Another place worth a visit is the Church of the Panghia which is just inside the village opposite Lindos Suntours Travel Agency, It is really good. If you want beaches there are plenty in Lindos. Main Beach, Pallas Beach and I would recommend St Pauls Bay where many weddings take place in the small church in the bay. There are many other beaches on Rhodes but to get to them you will really need a car.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

Hey

Andrew: Some great advice given in the 3 earlier replies.

Given that you have so little time on Rhodes then I doubt you will spend a lot of time on Lindos beaches if visiting for the day. However, if you are considering a few hours on the beach in Lindos, just to reassure you that they will not be crowded in early October. There will be loads of room on both the main beach and even smaller Pallas Beach which is one of the reasons I enjoy Lindos in October, rather than the height of the summer. The beaches of Lindos are fantastic.

An idea would be to get an early morning bus into Lindos, you would have plenty of time to spend a few hours chilling on the beach, lunch, walking around the village, visiting the Acropolis and a late afternoon dinner on a roof top restaurant before catching one of the last buses back to Rhodes Town.

Have a great time on Rhodes

Mart

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

Some photos to offer you an idea:

Rhodes Town

http://tinyurl.com/d5xz9o

Old Town

http://tinyurl.com/czvsch

Lindos

http://tinyurl.com/cfgt4a

Around the island

http://tinyurl.com/cu69ef

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

steve_p53

Have you not been to Tsambika, Agathi, Limni beaches on Rhodes

Pink Floyd beach near Plimiri is superb

I am keeping its exact location to myself

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

Hey

Agreed, not to mention Glystra, Pefki and Falaraki beaches. Steve, check some of them out on yr next visit, they are fantastic.

Mart

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

OK, fair comments about the beaches. What I should have said is that Rhodes isn't a destination people choose for beaches alone, like, say, they might for Skiathos. Also, if Andrew has only 3 days, he probably won't want to use one of them travelling somewhere for the beach alone - better to combine beach and sightseeing.

I will look out for the recommended beaches next time I am in Rhodes - have been to Pefkos and Faliraki (south), but none of the others. Pink Floyd sounds intriguing and I will have to go there 'one of these days' if I have enough 'money'to hire a 'bike'! (Sorry!!) I have already Googled it and see it is quite remote.

Thanks for the tips tpebopFaliraki and FugeeBlues.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

I'm pretty sure of Lindos's beaches being able to tick the right boxes and it makes a lot of sense to me if you have only 3 days to combine a hot sweaty walk to the Acropolis with a swim in the blue water you see below it.

Rome, Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visiting Rhodes - best city to stay in?

Thanks everyone who wrote back to me so much. I am leaving tomorrow and cant wait and your advice was really helpful. Decided to stay in Rhodes and then take a bus to Lindos for the day. Thanks again!