We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

Day two – once again, we rise at 9am to brilliant skies and the promise of a fabulous day. I walk up to the little shop in the reception area to see if they have any fresh bread. There is a younger woman there this morning who speaks reasonable English who tells me that “the bread is here, I just can’t find it yet”. That doesn’t really surprise me as the shop still looks like Hiroshima, two minutes after the “bang”.......

She rummages about for a couple of minutes and eventually surfaces with a small loaf, so I return to the room where we indulge in the age-old and traditional Greek breakfast of “Marmite on toast”, an ancient recipe handed down from mother to daughter since time immemorial. Suitable filled, we don the morning’s garb of shorts, vests and flip flops, and once more venture out into the already searingly hot sunshine.

We stroll past the smallholding where we think the goats live, and with that, a wizened chap on a moped dating at least to Victorian times put-puts along the lane, turns onto the dirt track, and disappears into the undergrowth. After a few seconds, we hear a type of maniacal wailing from him upon which the goats all run towards the small-holding and their long-awaited breakfast.

Heart Attack Hill hasn’t got any less steep overnight and once again, we encounter poor souls fighting for breath on their way up. We decide NOT to offer any encouragement this time, as we did yesterday, so merely ask them if their health insurance is up-to-date and if they know the way to the closest hospital. Various replies are received, none of which are repeatable....

We decide to have a look down along the beach area which is already packed to bursting point with red-backed sweat monsters, all trying their hardest to cook their innards before they go home. Lee’s beach bar looks inviting so we take a table in the slight breeze and order two large beers. The beers appear within a minute or so with a huge froth on top, not because the barman hasn’t bothered tipping the glasses whilst pouring, but because the beer is warm. In fact, the glasses are so hot, it would seem that they have just been taken out of the washer. We drink maybe a third, but decide not to gas ourselves up, so leave the money on the table and make a mental note NOT to return.

As we stroll back up the beach road, a loud buzzing sound fills our ears; preparing ourselves for an imminent attack by the world’s biggest mosquito, we are relieved to see that it is in fact the orange coloured light plane that takes off from the little strip adjacent to “Flyers Bar”. It looks a bit Heath-Robinson, I wonder when it had it’s last MOT?

It is SOOOO hot, Caroline is visibly wilting and although we have no bags, she pleads for a taxi back up the hill. Once again, we walk to the rank, drag our flip flops through the pile of cigarette butts, and ask to be taken up the hill to Ziakis. “Get in, my friends” says the driver – Caroline climbs into the passenger seat and obviously thinking me to be on board already, he starts the engine, lets off the handbrake, and promptly rolls backwards, missing my left foot by two centimetres. The other drivers shout out to him, then burst out laughing, one turns to me and says, “ you nearly have very flat foot, he not very good driver”....

Once again, we hurtle up H A H, then start to brake for the turn off, the heat shield glowing from re-entry.

We while away the afternoon by Ziakis' pool, taking a dip every 30 minutes or so, such is the heat, and get talking to a pleasant couple from Hereford for whom this is their first visit to the island. We offer a few tips, where to go, what to see, and how to get there.

At 6pm, we have had enough, so retire to get cleaned up, and once again, make the walk down into the town. We decide to take the right fork to the Eclipse square, slightly longer but way less steep – we walk past a triangular garden plot in which there is a family of cats and kittens. They are all adorable and seemingly well-cared for; I extend my hand and a small cat runs his cheeks against it, purring contentedly; Caroline does the same and a larger tom hisses and takes a swipe at her hand, drawing a little blood. That’s gratitude for you.....

We can’t be bothered to walk to Anixis so decide to try “George’s” after a couple of beers in “Jimmy’s”. We walk down the steps and are immediately greeted by a large, rotund head waiter by the name of Lukas who steers us to the table of our choice and promptly brings over a couple of menus. We order olives and taramasalata to share for starters, and then bekri-meze and moussaka for mains. Both are served piping hot and both are delicious, as are the starters. This is washed down with a very pleasant house wine, after which we skip desserts, but order coffee and are also given two shots of firey “souma”. The bill is a very reasonable €36, a bargain, considering the quality of the food and the size of the portions. We make a note to go back to George’s again.

It’s close to midnight, we are tired again so we taxi it back to Ziakis and then spend half an hour on our balcony watching the delightful family of cats, mum plus five kittens, who live at Ziakis and appear regularly to entertain the guests, so it seems. Tomorrow, we will make for Rhodes Town on the bus, and see what awaits us there...

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

Thanks for re-posting GB. I'm sure many will agree that the best part of being a member of TA is reading the trip reports. It brings us right there when we are not. Bring on part four!!!

Karen

uk
Level Contributor
275 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

well done GB, i agree bing on part 4 xxx

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
475 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

So glad I got to read the first version. Don't know who complained or why it was pulled but it was very funny. I have to say I was that woman in the first version. Ok maybe not quite as bad but I was very large. Notice the WAS.. Even when I was, I would still have thought it was funny. Keep the reviews coming. Perhaps you could do 2 versions Politically correct for on here and un politically correct for those of us who send you our e mail addresses..

Ann

Essex
Level Contributor
917 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

i too am glad i read the 1st version too !! xx

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

My pleasure Anne, I hope there's nothing within the text of this version that has people getting "so upset"...:0)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

Well I am glad you have re-posted GB but, in my opinion, this one (although good) is lacking a little 'something' lololol!

There are some very annoying 'party poopers' out there. :O(

7. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2011, 22:35
uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

I suspect the people who reported the original version wanted my posts removed. I certainly didn't report it, was merely making my feelings known. So someone's attempt at censorship bit them on the behind, really. I wasn't "upset" and certainly didn't poop any parties.

cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

I thought that the first post was so funny! What a shame it had do be deleted! Looking forward to the next post!

Hessle, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rhodes trip report part three - politically correct version

Enjoyed your report GB, as always, just sorry I missed the first version.