We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire with no credit card

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire with no credit card

We are hoping to go to Rhodes in July and want to explore by car. We do not possess a credit card and do not want one. Does anyone know of any company that would accept a debit card or cash?

There was a previous forum on this topic, however this has now been closed and it is from 2 years ago so things may have changed!

Many thanks

Tracey

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car hire with no credit card

Guys - this is indeed the case with the bigger hire companies. The small print on their webistes will tell you they need an internationally recognized credit card (not debit or cash) for taking a liability swipe to cover accidents and theft etc. This is not referring to the payment for the car- I think this is what the OP is referring to as this is the form for the bigger guys . I got stung like this in Barcelona where I had prebooked a car with EuropeCar and I did not have a CC on me - they would not let me have the car even though I offered £500 deposit. I am always now cautious about making sure you dont need a CC. Im off the Rhodes in a couple of months and have just emailed the Marathon rent a Car guys to make sure no CC required. I just want it to run smoothly at the airport as its a late flight in and I have family with me. Dont want any arguments in the car park! If its good - and they sound like they are - Ill make sure i put a good comment back on here and also on trip advisor main section for them. Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car hire with no credit card

Hi there

Marathon most definitely do not require a CC for payment or for swiping in case of damage to the car.. Cash for them is the best option as it leaves no paper trails.

13. Re: Car hire with no credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes