We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash & Receipts?

Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cash & Receipts?

I've been reading that a lot of restaurants/shops only accept cash payment. I am wondering if they still provide receipts for a cash payment?

Hosteria dei Cavalieri
££ - £££, Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean
Kyanous Aegean Aromas
££ - £££, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash & Receipts?

Everywhere should provide a receipt no matter what form of payment. If it's not offered just ask for one.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash & Receipts?

Accepting cards means a little loss every time. Thats the main reason for prefering cash. What does the receipt matter ? A kind of souvenir ? In that case I like the hand-written best.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash & Receipts?

...especially the ones written out on the table 'cloth' ;-)

I'm not sure why chateaubella asked??

If you pay cash for something here, you don't always get a paper receipt - for instance buying drinks in a bar. If you buy groceries from a supermarket you would expect a receipt, but not if you buy something from a greengrocer's or a market stall..??

If chateaubella is worried about possibly tacitly contributing to tax evasion, yes I can understand your concerns, and if you wish, you can certainly ask for receipts, but if it is because you want souvenirs etc., then you will get receipts from some places.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash & Receipts?

Hey and welcome chateaubella:-) As Yiassas states, you can request a receipt if you do not receive one;-) Although I may be totally off here, believe the question is more for personal reasons..possibly deductable business expenses..for personal tax purposes?! Have fun..and Enjoy all!

Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash & Receipts?

Thank you all for the responses. Thank you Litsa in particular as you are correct. I need receipts for the 1st portion of this trip as it is for business. I could care less if I got receipts for the vacation portion of my journey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash & Receipts?

Our pleasure chateaubella:-) Kinda thought that was why you asked..I know when I travel on business, I usually come home with a slew of receipts from wherever;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash & Receipts?

Please do make sure you get a receipt however & wherever you buy

It has been known for a tax inspector to lurk outside places & ask people as they leave for their receipt

Failure to produce means a fine for you & a heafty fine for the shop or taverna etc

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash & Receipts?

If that's the case then surely the onus is on whatever establishment it is to provide the receipt and if these tax inspectors are lurking then I guess not too many places aren't complying?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash & Receipts?

Hey Steve, even some of the market stalls have receipt machines now! Not so sure the gypsy stalls use them (or howthey get away with it) but the 'good' stalls on our market do, the first one I was given was such a surprise! Always get a receipt without asking from both our greengrocers.

Not sure if you are aware, but even peripteros have to give them now!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash & Receipts?

I had heard about the inspector thing, but though it might be a bit of an urban myth...

Sorry it wasn't clear, I meant we wouldn't expect receipts here in UK from a bar etc., but that wouldn't in any way suggest the sale is off the books - just that you don't always expect a receipt.