We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there something happening?

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is there something happening?

Hi

I've been looking at booking a trip to Rhodes this year and usually travel during the lower season for the prices etc... However whilst searching I keep bringing up some really cheap prices towards the last week of August which jump up again going into September. They seem to be incredibly cheap considering schools are still on holiday etc and I have never seen prices this cheap in previous years in August. Is something happening in Rhodes/Ixia at the end of August which is keeping the prices down and may be a reason to avoid travelling. It may sound strange, but I have never seen prices like this at this time of year!!

Also as an aside, does anyone know why Thomson are not booking Ixia next year. I cannot seem to get an answer!

Thanks in advance.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there something happening?

I dont know where you where looking but Thomson Holidays have a difference in price of around £ 200 between August & September

As expected August is dearer

Go to the Thomson web site & contact them via that. to ask about Ixia next year

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there something happening?

I'm still getting the cheaper prices for August. I just worry if I book it, I'll suddenly find out there was a reason why it was so cheap!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there something happening?

I think it must be that people cant afford holidays abroad so the TOs are having to reduce their prices to tempt us! I really dont think there is anything sinister to worry about. I was in Rhodes in May and hoping to go again in September and Im just thankful that the prices are going down!

L

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,402 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there something happening?

I think Linda is right. I too was in Rhodes in May. I booked two days in advance, and paid 28€ for a great double room in city, incl breakfast. I looked at the price-list for the Danish charter-guest staying there at the same time, and their price were more than the double.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there something happening?

TwoTravellers

I still dont know how you are getting the results you are

I have just looked @ thomson out of curiosity leaving on 25 August @ Olympic Palace & its £777

Leaving on 8 September is £531

The sort of result I would expect overall

cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there something happening?

I too am surprised by the prices your getting.. We are a family of 4 this year, normally a family of 5 and we book nearly a year in advance to get a better price and flight.

Last year we went for 2 weeks from August the 25th staying in ixia.

This year we are going from the 11th August for 2 weeks with one adult less, and it's costing us more than last years!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there something happening?

<<Last year we went for 2 weeks from August the 25th >>

The second week of that would have been term-time for most schools, so it would have been cheaper.

8. Re: Is there something happening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 July 2012, 13:05
cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there something happening?

Thanks Steve I was aware of that... What I was trying to say is how just a few weeks can make a big difference in price.. And if someone is able to be getting a quote of a cheap holiday then well done!

I have always booked nearly a year in advance to try and get a goog price, but maybe this year it's slightly different with everything that's going on ie the euro zone... Maybe there are good offers to be found!

10. Re: Is there something happening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:17