We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ouzo is the best

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Which ouzo is the best

Which one and please tell me why?

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ouzo is the best

I prefer Tsantali, Barbayannis or Mini. On Rhodes you have Emery from Embonas who does a good ouzo, but imo the best from Rhodes is Ouzo 13 (not to be confused with the infamous Ouzo 12).

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ouzo is the best

Hi there

"Which is best" is very much a matter of personal taste, we can all offer our favourites but would it be the same for you? - who knows. Sounds like a perfect excuse to try as many as possible and then make up your own mind.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ouzo is the best

Sure it's a matter of taste.

I am a huge aged rum fan and like the ouzo we get at the Greek restaurant overhere a lot and was wondering if there is a huge quality difrence like there is with rum also?

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ouzo is the best

I'm not really an Ouzo drinker, but the best one that I've tasted whilst visiting Rhodes was a one called Kefi. A Greek friend had a bottle and suggested we try one or two shots.... I dont really remember much more about that night, LETHAL!!

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which ouzo is the best

For my wife we buy a 5 litre bottle @ € 39

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which ouzo is the best

While I cannot comment on which one is the best I can say that when you get to Greece there are so many places with their own Distillery and their own recipes. One year we collected sample bottles from every region that we visited, all small non brand names. Some were awful but most were excellent and almost all the regional ouzo had a much more full taste compared to the commercial brands. Having said that here in Canada where I live we can only get 12 and Tsantali. I wold say that Tsantali is most like the regional types of ouzo.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which ouzo is the best

That's a good idea.

What about aged ouzo?

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which ouzo is the best

If you like a smooth taste than Tsantali is a good one. It is available in Holland, Gall & Gall.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which ouzo is the best

Thanks will buy one

Edited: 16 March 2013, 17:22
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which ouzo is the best

Plomari. It's in a bottle with a cream coloured label, sometimes comes in a cardboard sleeve. And ouzo 12 is undrinkeable.

Personal opinion obviously.