We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry rhodes to santorini or not?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
ferry rhodes to santorini or not?

Hi all

Partner and I are travelling through Turkey in late August this year and have a day trip (maybe overnighter) to Rhodes in the planning pipeline from Fethiye. I noticed that there is a ferry from Rhodes to Santorini and very tempted to island hop and see just a little of this stunning island. Two questions:

1. is the ferry a sleeper, as we get there at 1am and then leave to go back to Rhodes at about 1am also.

2. is this a good idea or a waste of a couple of days - is santorini really touristy and busy at that time of the year, in which case we would be better staying on Rhodes?

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry rhodes to santorini or not?

1) Complete waste of a couple of days particularly on a night ferry on a mega-boring ferry route. Just tick it on your piece of paper and pretend you've visited....and go elsewhere....

You don't have to book cabins on those ferries, economy ticket will do you.

2) You would do an awful lot better spending some time on Rhodes. If you want some simple Island Hopping then go up the Dodecanese islands to say Kos then back to Turkey.

The Dodecanese Islands are way more worth visiting, better beaches and a lot more to see than Santorini, so bin the hype.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Dodecanese
Dodecanese
South Aegean, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry rhodes to santorini or not?

Hey and welcome xenathedog:-) We all have different likes/dislikes and in this case, couldn't disagree more with RH! I did the opposite run from Santorini to Rhodes and on first impression, did not like Rhodes! It reminded of pulling into Miami Florida with all the condo-like tall apartment buildings ~ ugh! It didn't even look like an isle to me, lol! Once on the isle, I loved it.. it's a relatively large one with loads to see/do so if you're just planning a day or 2, would definitely stay put;-)

If you have the time, Santorini is well worth the effort IMO! Totally different experience pulling into this isle! Small, dramatic and unique.. and popular for sure for obvious reasons with folks coming from all over the world to visit! For many, these longhaul trips are a once-in-a-lifetime experience.. way different than someone who can hop on a plane and get there.. even direct.. if a few hours!!

Of course, it's all a personal call.. ruled by your personal travel style and what you're looking to experience! Whatever you decide.. have fun! Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
3. Re: ferry rhodes to santorini or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:18