We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop in Rhodes

Boise
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise stop in Rhodes

hey all,

we are stopping in Rhodes from 7 am to 6 pm. Some in our party have no extra money for excursions so we are trying to do it on the cheap...so if we walk around the old town what are must visits? Also looking for a really local, non-touristy, yummy taverna for lunch. And finally, is there enough time to do the old town in the morning and then get on a bus ride (short please) for one of those amazing beaches you see pictures of?! Is it too much of a risk to arrange a taxi or would I become one of the stories you hear about people missing the cruise ship sailing away? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Can't wait to see Greece for the first time.

Jan

Boise, Idaho

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise stop in Rhodes

Hi again Jan

Allowing for time to be back at the ship prior to sailing, and to disembark when arriving, you have about 10 hours. Normally, I might suggest jumping straight in a cab and heading down the east coast to LIndos but that would be expensive, about €70 each way but maybe affordable if you were to share with another couple. It would take about an hour to reach Lindos, allow 2-3 hours to see the sights, then a hour to get back, after which just spend the remaining time in the Old Town.

There is plenty to keep you occupied in Rhodes Old Town - wide squares, fountains, museums, mosques, churches, temples, huge fortifications, the Grand Masters' Palace, Mandraki Harbour and lots more. There's also a maze of little back streets and alleyways plus it is all pedestrianised. If you like shopping, then take a walk down Sokratous, the main west/east street where all the shops are, loads of goods for sale but don't expect any real bargains.

Just about anywhere within the Old Town is going to be touristy. One place where we have eaten several times is the "Island Lipsi Taverna" which is on Agisandrou St, which runs parallel with "Odos Ippoton", the Street of the Knights. It has lots of good reviews here on Trip Advisor, serves good food, is reasonably priced, and good service.

Rhodes Old Town

flickr.com/photos/…

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise stop in Rhodes

Hi. totally agree with GB about Island Lipsi. there is also Ippotikon in the square with the Jewish Memorial - though DO AVOID the Parrot Bar next door.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise stop in Rhodes

We did exactly as GB advises, many years ago, headed for the bus station, took a leisurely bus ride to Lindos, enjoying the scenery on the way. We spent the morning looking around the village, had a swim in the lovely warm sea and spent the afternoon in Rhodes town. We didn't really stop for anything to eat, just grabbed a gyros, on the go, and an ice cream later. Too much to see to waste time sitting in a taverna, on that occasion.

We fell in love with Rhodes and have since returned for longer holidays, i am sure you will love it

Boise
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise stop in Rhodes

Wonderful information! I so appreciate it. I have the feeling this will really be just a taste for me and that I will be back again and again. So looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Jan

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise stop in Rhodes

Once visited, never forgotten - you WILL be back....

6. Re: Cruise stop in Rhodes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes
Recent Conversations