We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Hey

Just been told by someone I know who works/lives here (British girl) that a dedicated shuttle bus runs between Diagoras and Rhodes Town on a half hourly basis n runs late into the early hours. It is not a municpal bus so does not stop at each location en route, but simply does the airport/town circular. Not sure how much, however, I am catching the 8.20 from Pefkos to Mandraki on Monday so will check out this shuttle versus West coast bus and report back re price etc, probably be something like 2E but we will see

M

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Sounds good. I normally share a taxi with the sister, friends, etc but the more they're all settling down, I can see a day coming when I head out on my own. I like a night in Rhodes Town so using a shuttle as opposed to taxis could work well for my first or last night.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Hey

Marcus, I will see what I can find out n feed back on the forum.

M

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Hey

Jumped off East service at the New Market, walked along to West coast service kiosk. You can pay at the kiosk or as I did, use the auto ticket machine with English language choice. Destinations come up on screen, select 'airport' and the price of 2 E 20 Cents appears, pay n take yr ticket. The 3rd option was to pay the driver. Distinct blue bus with 'Airport' on the front. It takes you through Ixia, Ialyssos and Kremasti n straight to the airport. It stopped twice to let 2 locals off, took 22 minutes exactly. It stops at the outside seating cafe area between the 2 buildings. You also get on here after leaving arrivals if heading to Kremasti, Ialyssos, Ixia or the capital. Just ring the bell n jump off near to yr hotel. Pay the driver as you board at the airport. Couldnt get any times for definite, was told that it was every half hr that could suggest one bus is at the airport whilst another is in Rhodes Town. Failing that, given the journey time it took me, it could be one every 45 mins.

M

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

22 minutes isn't that much slower than a taxi! Thanks for that Mart, good news for anyone travelling solo or on a budget.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Hey

No worries, it may take a bit longer at busier times of the season with more people jumping on or off at specific hotels en route, but still a good option without having to stop at every stop (ie municipal)

M

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Hey

Forgot to mention, when waiting at the airport for the this bus, it will show "Rhodes Center" on the front. At Rhodes Town it shows "Airport" on the front.

M

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Ah, this is the normal RODA company bus service along the west coast road, not an Airport Express service, which as far as I know doesn't exist.

Journeys that extend to villages beyond the airport combine with journeys that turn round at the airport to make the service which is roughly half-hourly. Since they changed to mostly "buy before you board" ticketing they are much faster but still could stop just about everywhere if required. I made the journey from the airport to the town last week on a bus that had come in half full from beyond the airport, and the running time was about 25 minutes including 5 or 6 stops. At the airport end you buy the tickets from the QU cafe/bar in departures.

When travelling back from Rhodes Town to the airport, look for the plane symbol on the destination if the bus is continuing beyond the airport so has a different placename as the destination.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,147 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Like Andy I dont know of an Express service

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

Hey

Andy, I admit I am no expert on west coast services and clearly you have a detailed knowledge of the area. It was an agent who lives on the island who first mentioned a dedicated airport service to me. Secondly whilst initially queuing at the kiosk, I spoke to an off duty driver who pointed me in the direction of the auto ticket machine and used the words 'express airport bus". Thirdly, the driver of the bus I was on told me he does the Rhodos/airport loop n does not go beyond the airport in a southerly direction. It was the same driver who appeared again 45 or so mins later whilst I was sitting outside in the q u cafe area. It offloaded some people with suitcases, a couple of whom sat by me, got talking n said they had just come from Rhodos. It all suggests a loop service to me, however as I say, I am no expert on West coast services, so maybe I got it wrong.

M

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport - Rhodes Town shuttle bus.

No, you're entirely right about there being buses that shuttle up and down all day to the airport. On Rhodes the buses and drivers tend to stay on the same route all day. They are just part of the airport service, though, because there are village buses too. Waiting at the airport you just want the first bus displaying Rodos Center, which may be one starting at the airport or one coming through from the villages beyond.

Going from Rhodes Town to the airport, don't restrict yourself to a bus with Airport on the destination, any bus with a plane symbol on the destination will take you there, never mind the place name it is showing.

They're all run by the same company, the tickets you buy from machines, cafes, and kiosks are valid on whichever comes first, and they all stop at the same stops along the route and so will take roughly the same time. They are a lot quicker than they used to be because of the tickets being sold before boarding, and apart from possible problems with lots and lots of baggage they are highly useful.

http://www.ando.gr/eot/eng/BUS.pdf

is a link to the National Tourist Board site showing the current bus timetable, which changes several times a year in line with the seasons/tourist demand..