We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catamaran from Marmaris

Brisbane
Level Contributor
104 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Catamaran from Marmaris

Hi and thanks in advance for any advice given.

Can you please tell me where the Catamaran from Marmaris docks and the closest gateway into the Old City is from there?

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

It docks at the central tourist port. The nearest gate into the Old Town is a 3 minute walk. Turn right out of the port and cross the road.

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

As said, you step off and see the Old Town right in front of you. No directions needed.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

Thanks again - was just wanting to confirm distance as we will be dragging our luggage to our hotel in the Old Town

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

If you're literally dragging your baggage, be aware that many of the road surfaces in the Old Town are made up of small cobblestones which damage wheeled bags and make them difficult to steer.

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

Oh my Vada, the visions your comment conjures up in my mind.

If you are talking about a small carry-on type suitcase with 2 wheels and an extending handle then it might not be too bad. But if you are talking about a big suitcase that's heavy and easily tips to the sides, then you are not going to be happy. The Old Town is not suitcase friendly as AndyW has noted.

It also differs depending on where in the Old Town your hotel is. If it is all the way across the other side of the Old Town or not. Do you have a hotel in mind? Do you know where it is located relative to the harbour? It can be a fair walk across the Old Town. ie. 15 minutes.

There are 7 major gates into the Old Town. Depending on where your hotel is located, it may be easier to take a taxi to the one closest to the hotel.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 15:29
Brisbane
Level Contributor
104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

Staying at the S.Nikolas. It looks like it is near the St Athanasious Gate on the maps I have seen. Roughly, how much would a taxi be? and would they take the job? I guess the best way to the airport would also be a taxi from outside the city walls. Can you easily get one or best to book one for a specific pick up time?

Vada

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

You're in luck Vada. A Taxi can take you directly to the door of the St. Nikolas hotel. That isn't the case with all Old Town hotels. There are some streets that taxis simply can't fit down. LOL

You can get a taxi at the harbour or pre-arrange through the hotel to be picked up. You can also get a taxi directly from the hotel to the airport.

The fare should be around 6-8E from the harbour but they also charge per bag loaded so that will add a couple of more Euros perhaps. to the Airport there are fixed prices. I don't know what the current economy is doing to fares Vada, I suspect they will go up. The hotel can tell you current fares from the harbour and to the airport.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 21:52
Brisbane
Level Contributor
104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

thanks once again - should be in the budget

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

Hi again Vada. When are you arriving on Rhodes? It would appear that some of the previous posts were written by people who were not actually in or near Rhodes Old Town in the 2013 season. If you are coming between May 1st and October 20th a taxi will not be able to take you to The Nikolas Hotel. This year there was security on all gates and the only vehicles that could get in were those with resident's permits. Even workers in the Old Town could not bring their vehicles in except for an hour for deliveries in the early morning. If you telephone Sotiris - the owner of The Nikolas - I'm sure he will meet you at the gate and "scoot" your cases in for you. From St Athanasious Gate the walk is about 5 minutes to the hotel. It is also one of the most superb places to stay in the Old Town in my opinion. If you are coming out of season then a taxi probably will take you in.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catamaran from Marmaris

Sharklette,

Only just saw your latest reply today. Thanks. We are arriving on the 1st of May on the boat from Marmaris- so I guess the best would be to catch a taxi to the St Athanasios Gate and walk from there. As this is the Labour Day public holiday - can you give any info re what to expect.

We will then get a taxi to the airport on the 3rd - seems easier than walking to the bus station on the other side of the Old Town.

Vada