We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The steps! Tavernas

cheshire
Level Contributor
326 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
The steps! Tavernas

Hi, we are going to Symi next week staying at the Irini studios. We are looking forward to it, but I am really worried about the 100 steps to the apartment! Is there a hill to walk up as an alternative? I am quite fit- but hate steps!

Also, we are hoping to go over to Rhodes town for a couple of days, can anyone recommend some reasonable accom?

Also any tips on where to eat/visit.

Thanks Lyn

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The steps! Tavernas

There's unlikely to be a hill, Symi is all steps. I think I know the Irini, it's half way along the hill side, about level with the harbour entrance. This has about 30 steps, then a short path, then about another 30 steps past a Laskarina property, then more steps. There's no alternative, but the good news is that it's all fairly well lit.

The bad news for you is that some of the best places to eat are at the top of the Kali Strata, and this is about 400 steps, but there are loads of tavernas around the harbour. Just walk around, see which you like best.

To visit - there are some excellent boat trips, to beaches and to the monastery.

cheshire
Level Contributor
326 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The steps! Tavernas

Thanks for this. Is there a bus as an alternative to the 400 steps?

Are there any good bars in the harbour that play rock type music?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The steps! Tavernas

'Are there any good bars in the harbour that play rock type music?'

try the south side of the harbour, Vapouri bar area.

Bedford
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The steps! Tavernas

Like you I hate and in fact am quite afraid of steps. We were in Symi about 10 years ago staying at the Fiona Hotel. My fear certainly ruled where we did eat. However, at that time there was a mini bus service from the harbour to Chora and the beach beyond. Otherwise there are a couple of taxis. As we spent 3 out of our 4 evenings up in the Chora because of the steps we found a wonderful Taverna called Gregory's right at the top of the steps which served fantastic food and finished our evening next door for a night-cap or two. Fish restaurant seem to rule on the harbourside. We dined at one called Manos which was very good.

Happy Hols.

Midlands
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The steps! Tavernas

There are good tevaernas both in the harbour and up in Chorio, you can take the bus or a taxi, not far so both cheap. In Chorio eat at Syllogos, Zoe's or Giorgio's (not Gregory's). In the harbour try Tholos out on the headland by Nos beach, O Miraklis and Mythos. Avoid manos fish restaurant..touristy over hyped and over priced.

You will feel so fit from the steps by the time you leave. jay

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The steps! Tavernas

Just back yesterday from a week on Symi and thought I should mention that Laskarina is no more. They ceased trading at the end of 2006, due to the changing holiday market. (As reported in the Symi Visitor, December issue)

Most accomodation has been taken over by Kalodoukas Holidays

http://www.kalodoukas.gr/

www.symivisitor.com (Excellent site)

The steps up the Kali Strata are tiring, but you can just take it slowly, as do the locals. there is always the Kali Strata bar to rest at, about 3/4 of the way up, with amazing views.

We also recommend Geogois Taverna in Chorio, on the corner just before you reach the vine covered square.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The steps! Tavernas

Vilecat, I'm just about to book the Irini studios for early October and wondered what you thought of them? Appreciate the tips on here about where to eat. I've been to Symi once before on a day trip from Rhodes but never stayed there so am looking forward to having chance to explore the island properly and do lots of walking. Glad to hear that it's fairly well lit as I'll be going on my own and am aware it gets dark fairly early in October though I will be taking a torch with me anyway.

8. Re: The steps! Tavernas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Symi
Recent Conversations