We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Symi or Rhodes?

Which Symi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
369 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Symi or Rhodes?

Thoughts please. If you had to choose one Island between Symi or Rodes, which would it be? My husband and I would have been travelling around Turkey for 2 1/2 weeks and would like to finish in Greece for 5 nights. We want to just relax and wind down before heading back to New Zealand.

We prefer mixing with locals when we travel and eating good local food. Beaches, peace and quiet and beautiful suroundings are important. Also a lovely main town to wander around and be absorbed into the local culture.

This will be our first visit to Greece. Would love to hear everyones thoughts.

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
42 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Symi or Rhodes?

Symi every time Kiwi. It's very laid back, friendly people and lot's of quiet places to escape to. The harbour area gets busy during the day when the tourist boats come in from Rhodes but you only have to walk round the corner to leave them all behind.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Symi or Rhodes?

If it is peace & quiet you want then it has to be Symi. As stated, you don't have to go far to escape the day trips from Rhodes & once they have left the island you will have exactly what you want.

Chipping Sodbury
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Symi or Rhodes?

I would definately recommend Symi. It has the most beautiful harbour. I have been there twice now & love it. Rhodes can be heaving so if you are looking to relax then Symi is the place to go.although a small island there will be plenty to do in 5 days. There are a number of beaches some of which can only be reached by boat.

If you are looking for good local food, I would advise walking up the kalistrata steps to the town and having a meal in Georgios Taverna. As it is up in the town it is very good value and serves mainly locals. Another good restuarant is the 'Windmill' which serves very good meze.

A good website to look at is Symi Visitor. This website has been put together by one of the locals there and gives a good insight into whats going on.

Let us know what you decide.

Bristol UK
Destination Expert
for Symi
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Symi or Rhodes?

I would also stay in Symi if relaxation is wanted. I've relaxed there for many years, usually with a beer or an ouzo. The food is wonderful in nearly all the restaurants.

As Rebecca says, have a look at www.symivisitor.com

it is indeed very useful for all sorts of things and the live webcam gives a good view of the harbour.

Check the ferries timetable nearer the time if you need to return to Rhodes or Antalya for a flight home. The schedules do change fairly often.

5. Re: Symi or Rhodes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about Symi
Recent Conversations