We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

Essex
Level Contributor
517 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in October? Also is there a problem with sea urchins in the area around Yialos?

Kali Strata
Historic Walking Areas, Neighbourhoods, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Lookouts
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

Hi there

Late October can still see the sea warm enough to swim in, it just depends whether the water has been whipped up by early autumn storms in which case it will be quite cool. I've swum off a few of the island's beaches and never seen a sea urchin, I may of course have been lucky so if you're worried about it, why not wear some plastic shoes?

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
42 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

I always put something on my feet to swim, largely because I seem to have tender insteps - it saves all that hopping about on shingle when you come out of the water. A cheap pair of plimsolls works as well as anything.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
836 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

I believe that the water in the Aegean Sea does not tend to get very warm even during the summer, so I don't think it will be that warm. It does depend though on the storms that might precede your visit there.

It does depend on the person for sure though. I , for example, would never swim at late October, BUT the difference is that I am Greek, hence not very used to cold waters!

But if the temperature is good enough, I would probably just try to see how it feels.

Regards,

Yannis.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

The Aegean is always very warm for us Brits who are used to sea temperatures at home that are rarely higher than 16-18c.

So, if the water in Greece is around 22-24c, which it often can be particularly around Crete and Rhodes, it seems positively hot!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
836 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

If anyone does like warmer waters, then from my experience , Halkidiki is a pretty good place for that, because its two main Gulfs (Toroneos and Mt. Athos Gulf) are more secluded. The waters tend to be pretty warm untill later in September , beginning of October I could say.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

The waters are only warm in Halkidiki in October because the air temperature is so low!

My pick for warm waters would be the southern part of the Peloponnese, but again the weather is likely to be nicer overall in Symi.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol UK
Destination Expert
for Symi
Level Contributor
249 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

I have often been swimming in October and found the sea at its warmest since it has had the entire summer to warm up.

Urchins? There are a few around, mainly noticeable amongst the rocky bits in Nimborio Bay and Sesklia Island. Delicious with a couple of slices of lemon.

8. Re: Will it be hot enough to swim in the sea last 2 weeks in Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:18