We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders

Which Symi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
7 posts
Save Topic
Spiders

We are off to Symi in may, my girlfriend has become alarmed that there are tarantula's in Symi. Are they commonly sighted? Should we expect them to find their way into our apartment? Any tips for avoiding them. We are staying at the Nireus

(Confession: it's me who doesn't like spiders really)

Thanks

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,445 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spiders

I've been to Symi 4 times and have never seen a tarantula or any other large spider. If I'd seen a tarantula in my apartment you wouldn't have seen me for dust - even the thought of it brings me out in a cold sweat!

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spiders

We typed into google images 'Symi' and it brought up all manner of lovely images of the island and then lurking in one picture was a huge spider, we have since read a few blogs that mention there are tarantulas hiding out in symi too so i am looking to avoid them...

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,445 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spiders

Wish I hadn't started googling now! I remember seeing the picture of the large spider on the Symi Dream website but that doesn't look like a tarantula to me - just a big house spider. Hopefully any tarantulas will be hiding out in the mountains and nowhere near your apartment.

Bristol UK
Destination Expert
for Symi
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spiders

The famous Symi Spider is not a tarantula and is not even poisonous. I have picked a few of these beautiful animals up and I'm still here. There have been many stories about him over the years, some silly and a few true. 1, You can train it to carry your bags for you. Probably false. 2. It spins its web between trees rather than between branches. True. 3. Any missing goats were probably eaten by the thing. Doubtful. 4. It's so large that it needs two people to carry it. Not quite true.

When we first visited Symi, we were advised to remove it from indoors by wriggling a mop over its head. The spider would think it a mate and grab it. Then throw the whole thing out of the door. Unfortunately nobody had told the spider this so it didn't work.

One of its great advantages is that it eats lots of flies and I don't like flies.

I'll have a look for some next week. Sorry, Gemma.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 12:16
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spiders

Thanks for the reply, what's the chances that we'll encounter one? And where would you recommend as a safe haven to avoiding them? Out to sea or can they swim as well??

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spiders

I did not see any during seven days on Symi last summer. Haven't even heard of them.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spiders

They're normally most visible in May as the weather improves and massive springcleans by property owners drive them out of the dusty corners they've been hiding in over winter. But hardly any have been seen yet this year so far.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spiders

Do spiders swim in the sea, is this for real?

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spiders

It's ok, they don't swim as iv heard they like to hire boats instead

St Issey, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spiders

I was thinking of choosing Symi for my family holiday next year ( 4 adults). But after reading this blog I am going to re-think? Oh though We have be on many holiday on many different Greek Islands, including the mainland of Greece over the past 18n years and we have never seen any tarantula's or any spiders of any size in Greece. We seen the odd cob web or 2 behind rocks and stones but never seen any I am glad to say.