We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from symi to athens

new jerz
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from symi to athens

hello,

i will be traveling to symi in mid-July and am attempting to fly back to the U.S. from athens. wondering what is the best option for travel between symi and athens - i've looked into ferries but it appears that i would have to take a ferry from symi to rhodes and a ferry from rhodes to athens. is this the only option or am i missing something?

thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from symi to athens

yes, from Symi the only option you have is to travel till Rhodes then a ferry as you wrote or an airplane. Aegean air has a special offer (about 40 euro) if you book your ticket till tomorrow

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from symi to athens

The usual quickest way is to Symi > Rhodes first, then ferry/fly to Piraeus/Athens, if your sole interest is doing that.

But there are other ways like a twice weekly ferry from Symi to Piraeus, currently Wed, Fri. You can also go via various other islands in the Dodecanese chain and then to Piraeus.

So you have some creative options to visit other islands on the way back if you wish to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Dodecanese
Dodecanese
South Aegean, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from symi to athens

Hey and welcome raxxx:-) The quickest would be a flight from Rhodes.. along with www.aegeanair.com/ you can also check www.olympicair.com/ Flight take barely 50 min to Athens.. and would look at arriving Athens at least a day before your trans flight back to the States.. just in case.. to cover for any delays/cancellations, whatever;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from symi to athens

There will defintely be two ferries per week from Symi to Piraeus (Athens) as this is a government-subsidised route. The contract changes to a new company and ship from I June which is why nobody can tell you yet which days the ferries will sail.

The ferry service is very slow as it calls at up to 7 other islands on the way, loading and unloading trucks and cars as well as passengers, and is mostly overnight in both directions.

In the list of airlines flying between Rhodes and Athens, you can add Cyprus Airways who have two flights a day and are often cheapest.

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
new jerz
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from symi to athens

thank you all for your help. I am looking in to all these options. Another question - is there a website or something where I can find route info for each port you can get to via ferry from Symi? I am thinking maybe instead of going back to rhodes and then doing rhode to athens, I can do rhodes to another island and then go from that island to athens in order to get back to the U.S. I can't seem to find a website that is clear on every ferry route available out of symi.

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from symi to athens

Our pleasure raxxx:-) Take a look at www.gtpr.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ Play around with them since there's a way to just plug in one isle and a drop down list appears to all available ferry ports serviced by that isle;-) Best.. keep enjoyin'!

7. Re: transportation from symi to athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Symi