We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Symi from Turkey

Which Symi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bourne End, Bucks
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Symi from Turkey

Hi

Apart from the weekly ferry from Bodrum and Datca, if they still run. Are there any other boats direct to Symi from Turkey.

Some time ago there was going to be a boat from Bozborun. Did they ever start? Is there such a service now.

Thanks

Martin

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Symi from Turkey

Sorry, there are no longer scheduled services from anywhere in Turkey to Symi. You may well find boats offering day excursions to Symi from nearby Turkish ports but these are unpredictable in days of operation and only sail if sufficient passengers are to be found.

Alternatives are Bodrum-Kos and Marmaris-Rhodes both of which go daily in summer, sometimes twice daily. There are at least two sailings from Rhodes to Symi every day in summer and Kos has service 5 or 6 days a week.

Bourne End, Bucks
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Symi from Turkey

Thanks Andy

I found a website which is showing a weekly ferry from Bodrum to Symi, - ferries-turkey.com/ferry-routes/turkey-greec… - but from what you say that is out of date.

We are regular visitors to Fethiye in Turkey so we will revert to the Fethiye - Rhodes ferry and then the Rhodes - Symi ferry. I was hoping to find a direct service.

We have visited Symi a few times in the past and would like to re-visit for a few days - we miss the Symi Shrimps, the boats to the beaches (particularly for the restaurant at Agia Marina - although I think that was for sale shortly after our last visit) and the beautiful harbour (with endless interest from the crossed anchor chains and berthing mishaps).

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Martin

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Symi from Turkey

I apologise, you're right. Although there have been problems with Turkish based ferry booking sites reported here, this one is at least mostly correct. I've checked with Greek sources and they say there is a service Bodrum-Symi on Saturdays only at least up to 31 August, leaving Bodrum in the morning and returning from Symi at lunchtime, using either a fast catamaran or a hydrofoil.. The same sources say this is the only scheduled international service into Symi.

My only excuse is that when I was on Symi in May, there was no such service, although the website says ferries run May to October.

I share your love of Symi, indeed I'll be back again in mid October, travelling vis Rhodes, though maybe the Bodrum ferry will have stopped for the winter by then.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 10:04
Bourne End, Bucks
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Symi from Turkey

Hi Andy

No excuse needed, I think this is a fairly obscure and little known service, but the website looks to be a useful resource.

I think the Fethiye - Rhodes / Rhodes - Symi route would be a lot more reliable - and that can be a little hit and miss.

A service between Bozborun and Symi would be good though, the distance involved is so small. I'm sure it would benefit both economies.

As an aside, do you know if the taverna at Agia Marina is still operating and is it as good as it used to be?

All the best

Martin

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Symi from Turkey

Agia Marina is certainly open for business this year.

I haven't eaten in the taverna since last year though so can't tell you if the food is as good as ever. Certainly nobody I know has said anything bad about the food this year and some of them aren't averse to being critical when required.

I think some of the problems with Turkey-Greece ferry services in the area are new international safety rules which boats carrying more than 12 passengers have to comply with. The Datca services were operated from the Symi end, using boats that had taken day trippers from Rhodes to Symi, and then ran a round trip to Datca before returning to Rhodes. These were 300-500 capacity boats and the passenger loads couldn't cover the fuel costs and port fees, even though the boats would just have stayed in port at Symi otherwise. As these boats already complied with the regulations there were no modifications required.

Really a smaller boat with better fuel efficiency is required, maybe operating from the Turkish side instead where crew costs are likely to be lower, but most of these potter about the coasts of their respective countries and so only have to comply with local rather than international safety equipment rules. It does seem a bit silly when on a Symi-Bozborun crossing you're never out of sight of land, but there you are.

6. Re: Getting to Symi from Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Symi
Recent Conversations