We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

For anyone considering a wedding in Parga please avoid Christine Vekios (https://www.wedding-in-parga.com) at all costs!

Having fell in love with Parga, me and my fiancé decided it would be the perfect wedding destination. I looked through this forum to find a few people recommending Christine Vekios (https://www.wedding-in-parga.com/). Whilst in Parga we met up with her and her partner Judith to discuss our options for the following year. We liked their ideas and appointed them as our planners for the wedding. After suggesting some venues we agreed on Parga Castle for our ceremony and MED for our reception.

Once back in England we confirmed a date and was told everything was booked for the following year. This is where the communication stopped. After multiple requests for further information about each venue we finally got a reply saying ‘we do it different in Greece and we won’t know until nearer the wedding’. This continued right up until about 3 weeks before the wedding where we still hadn’t seen a menu, any decorations or even any prices!

I’d like to say this is where they finally got into gear and organised the wedding we’d all been dreaming of but sadly no. Pretty much all of the wedding planning was crammed into the week prior to our wedding so instead of enjoying our week in Greece we were being dragged away from our friends and family to do all the organising we’d requested them to do months before.

Once we finally agreed on a menu and a price, they then demand the fee is settled immeadly. This is a wedding for over 80 people.. I suggested that because it was agreed so late, it may take a few days for the international transfer to clear. Not only was this not good enough, they demanded that we pay at least half in cash. After explaining that we don’t have this sort of cash, they suggested we go ask our wedding guests to get out as much as they can and then we can ‘pay them back later’. Imagine the embarrassment of having to ask your own guests for cash!

Once the wedding was over you’d think we’d seen the worst of it. Christine who had taken our passports for documentation earlier in the week refused to deliver them back until our bank transfer was complete (even though I’d show her confirmation of payment). After demanding that she delivers them back, she then turned up at my hotel with a large male relative and demanded that I prove again that payment has been sent. After finally getting the passports form her she burst into tears and tried to claim she was the victim in all this.

Sorry for the essay but just want to make certain that nobody makes the same mistake we did and use Christine Vekios as their wedding planner. This woman is as crooked as they come!

For anyone considering a wedding in Parga, please not let this put you off. Even though all this happened, I only look back on the positives and it’s such a perfect place to get married. Just please consider using anyone but Christine!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Thanks for sharing. I hope the wedding itself was lovely and all the best for the future.

I hope your post is not deleted.....

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
397 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

I have been friends with Christine for over 30 years and I really find all of this quite hard to believe. As they say, there are 2 sides to every story....

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
3. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Hi there, sorry to hear that, sounds disastrous, I have a family member marring in parga in 2019, such a Shane as you say I know the work that goes into a wedding abroad as my son got married in kefalonia this year and there were 70 guests, the two wedding planners they had were fantastic from the off, which is what you expect. I'm sure the wedding was still beautiful as parga is such a magical place, Thankyou for your info, as have been looking at options etc in parga.

Level Contributor
378 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

I am pleased to see these posts have been reinstated as it is important that experiences are shared, I have some empathy with the poster as I had an experience where I was asked to pay a very substantial amount in cash when I wanted to pay on card to claim it back.I am fairly assertive but it made even me feel uneasy having to firmly push back. My advice is that whoever you have make sure you have it all sorted well before the big day, never mind 'it's how we do it in Greece'

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
5. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Hi Adrian, I'll second that glad posts are uo and running again, I also really felt for Gregory and he should be able to tell of his experience good or bad👍

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Glad to see your posts have been re-instated. "there are 2 sides to every story...." Well maybe poster 2 or the planner herself will give us side 2.

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
397 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Tourists who love Parga are all in agreement that it is a charming place. A key factor in the charm is the fact that Parga is almost 100% family owned and operated businesses. Small families earning a living without the big anonymous corporation behind them. I get it that the original poster on this thread had issues with the wedding planning, but the character assassination is totally not necessary. Why would you deliberately want to go out and ruin someone's little business? This post has already caused an uproar on the Facebook group " Parga Paradise". I don't understand why this was reposted at all.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
8. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Hi well someone thought it should be put back on and so it should, the chap had a bad experience and is within his rights to speak abt it, like you said, there are two sides to every story!!!!!!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
9. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

Hi again, the only person I can see it's called an uproar with is yourself, most people have been very sympathetic abt the original post, it seems to have ruffled your feathers terribly, maybe this is because you are friendly with the wedding planner!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Nightmare Parga wedding planner!

One of the bigger surprises with this - and it shouldn't have been allowed to be a surprise - was asking to be paid in cash. No doubt the planner had people that needed paying in cash themselves. But the need for cash should have been communicated at the outset when you started to plan thing. I was wrong to drop that on you right near the wedding day when already in Parga. With a limit to how much you can withdraw per day, etc.

If you'd known you needed cash, you could have perhaps got it in advance with a better exchange rate.

But I don't think I'd have assumed I could pay it all with a debit card either. I'd have expected to have to pay it with an electronic transfer of some kind to be honest.

Get answers to your questions about Parga
Recent Conversations