We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM cash cards

Which Parga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
4 posts
Save Topic
ATM cash cards

Which is better?

Prepaid cards e.g. Travelex Euro Cash Passport (Mastercard) or something like the Norwich & Peterborough Gold Classic debit card?

The Norwich and Peterborough reminds me of the old Nationwide Flex account which was often recommended by many with a view of withdrawing cash. That is what we'd do whilst in Greece. It is my understanding that I would get charged Visas exchange rate on the day of processing the transaction?

Travelex seems confusing, but many say that you lock in your rate before you go. We've used Travelex in Cyprus and it was as if money disappeared at a faster rate. Any ideas?

There were no notifications of fees from the Cyprus ATM's.

It claims to have free cash withdrawals.

travelex.co.uk/uk/cash-passport-currency-car…

http://www.nandp.co.uk/current-account/

If anyone can advise on which is best, indicating why then I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM cash cards

Hi Warsteiner

I'd have a look at this moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…prepaid

Explains all the ins and outs. We have the N&P Gold Light account. the only problem we had last year (first time we'd used abroad) was that we did''t realise you can only draw out £200 from an ATM at a time whereas we were trying to get €300 and could not understand why we didn't get any money. The exchange rate is the visa rate which is good.

I have read that some of the ATMs are now using the Dynamic Currency Conversion where they ask if you want to pay in Sterling or Euros. Always say Euros as this works out cheaper.

I have also read on this forum that the ATM from Bank of Pireaus charges a fee. Don't know how true this is.

We always keep a bit of cash in hand in case of any problems with empty machines.

Hope this helps, Jean

Parga, Greece
Destination Expert
for Parga
Level Contributor
759 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM cash cards

In addition to our Greek bank account, and nationwide account, we have a caxton fx card . We can transfer to it , from our UK account, instantly, at a pre-published rate (usually 1.75% below interbank rates) the cash is available on the card within 10 mins of us transferring it. Maybe it's not for everyone, but it suits us .

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM cash cards

Thanks for the advice :-)

I was beginning to think that my question was going to disappear with all of the people who are present there bickering.

Steve & Soo, does the caxton fx one charge for withdrawals on top?

The FairFX one comes out on top, even though you pay fees according to Martin Lewis.

I find them a bit of a minefield though and am strongly considering the Norwich & Peterborough one. At least I have the heads up about withdrawal limits.

I'm as tight as they come... it seems cheaper, though obviously depends on the rate. Hmm, swings & roundabouts

Parga, Greece
Destination Expert
for Parga
Level Contributor
759 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM cash cards

With the caxton card, there are no fees (as long as you are in the eurozone) . You can find out more at www.caxtonfxcard.com

caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/…

Edited: 26 June 2012, 12:57
Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM cash cards

We opened a Norwich and Peterborough Gold Light early last year after Nationwide withdrew their 'free use'. Since opening the account we have used it extensively throughout Europe and found the terms of use quite acceptable - the bottom line with the N&P debit card is the fact that it offers free use at the ATM's and the exchange rate is interbank; things don't get much better.

Many people will find opening a N&P account hardly worthwhile if they don't travel a great deal and only use €'s as holiday spends but for anyone like myself who spends over four months a year travelling independently and using virtually all cash it is an absolute boon.

6. Re: ATM cash cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about Parga