We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meteora....what to wear??

Which Parga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Meteora....what to wear??

We are going to parga next week for the first time (been to Lefkas lots of times), and are looking forward to visiting Meteora. Can anyone advise what to wear for the visit?? I know you usually have to cover arms ...but?? Please help!!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

When visiting Greek monasteries it is respectful, and often mandatory, for both sexes to cover up. The dress code in the Meteora monasteries is strict. For men this means long trousers, not shorts, and sleeves that cover the tops of your arms - not vest tops. For women, a skirt - not trousers. It should cover most of your legs, so not a mini-skirt. Again cover up the top part of your arms, no vests or strappy tops. Enjoy your visit, it is an amazing place and one you will never forget.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

The monasteries in Meteora are very used to visitors and are remarkably tolerant. They will supply sarong type garments if required. My personal opinion is that you should show respect and consideration by attending already suitably clothed, i.e. long trousers/skirts and shoulders and arms covered. Meteora is a truly awe inspiring place and deserves enormous respect, you will be completely blown away !

It is a fair old journey from Parga, we did it in a day by hire car but I would advise an overnight stay if you can manage it. Please let us know how you get on.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

Thank you so much for both of these replies...very helpful!! Will report back when I'm home again.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

It might involve lots of walking and climbing, so make sure you have good sturdy shoes, like sneakers.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

I took a beach wrap and as I entered the monastery I wrapped it around like a skirt. This meant I could still stay cool outside but be respectful inside. I also had a long sleeved cotton shirt which I put on over the vest top I was wearing.

manchester
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

We did Meteroa in 2010, loved it. We set off about 5.30 in the morning and stopped at Motsovo for breakfast, that was definitely worth a visit. Motsovo was a lovely little place. I remember wearing a longish skirt but think I had a t-shirt on. They were pretty relaxed about clothing but did provide sarongs for men and women. It was well worth the trip, hope you enjoy it

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

We went to Meteora last week. I wore cropped trousers and a t-shirt. My partner also wore long shorts which zip off below the knee so he took the lower part to zip on as trousers. However, most men were wearing shorts. They do supply wraps but they are made of a man-made fabric which is very warm. There are lots of steps and I wore sandals with straps - I do not recommend flip-flops.

It is a breathtaking experience and well worth the long journey. we went on an excursion through Ephirea Travel which was cheaper than the one offered by the tour operator and picked up at 7.30 as opposed to 6.30!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

We did this trip in Sept two years ago. We booked independently and saved compared to the Thomas Cook price. We were on the same bus as everybody who had booked with TC :-)

We thought the Egnatia Odos which you'll travel on was worth seeing as well. Cost an absolute fortune (prices for tunnels/bridges shown on signs along the way) and was almost deserted when we travelled on it.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

As I said in my previous post, the monasteries in Meteora are remarkably tolerant (as is the Greek nature) but this is not a reason to take advantage. I have also seen people wearing shorts which, I believe, shows enormous ignorance and disrespect and causes considerable offence (albeit unspoken). It takes very little forethought to attend these places (not only Meteora) suitably dressed and to treat them with the reverence that they deserve. Rant over !!!!! :-)

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meteora....what to wear??

Very well said SomersetSteve2!! I am a confirmed atheist but I still think it is correct to show respect and consideration for other people's cultures and beliefs. This applies certainly to visiting Greek monasteries and convents but I've also been horrified to see women going topless on Greek beaches where there are Greek families around which also causes enormous offence. (That's my rant over too !)

Get answers to your questions about Parga
Recent Conversations