We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Winter

Which Parga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York
Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
In Winter

Love Parga In September when the crouds have gone.

What do you all do in the winter? are most places closed and when do you get ready for the new season

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Winter

Mrs C and I have been in Parga as late as the first week of November and now that we've retired we spend three months in Parga from third week of March and it is wonderful.

Parga does have a good population throughout the winter so life goes on but much more low key.

There is a sizeable ex-pat community in Parga and the nearby villages so hopefully you will be able to hear what they think. Maybe one or two of the locals can reply to your question and let you know, that tourist income aside, how great it is to be rid of the crowds :-))

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Winter

Parga is 95 % closed in the winter....fairly decent place to raise children(I have raised 2 here, they went from nursery school to graduating high school)....safe, QUITE monotonous, pretty much for people who have married into Greek families, if you don't have a good command of the language it can be quite rough....lovely Sundays drinking wine and eating meze on the waterfront....if you want to spend a comfortable time here in the winter you need: 1) a fireplace; 2) good internet 3) decent bank account 4) cable tv......at the end of the day, you will appreciate winter in Parga much more if you have a Greek partner....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Winter

The Ex Prats love to talk and call each other behind ones back, some of them are excellent at it.. They pick on certain ones then bully them we should know we lived there and it happened to us, glad to say were back in the UK now....

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Winter

Yes, Glitter, but at the end of the day, we who are married to locals see the best side of the place....at least in the winter.....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Winter

Totally agree with you! To many Ex Prats there now, there bored, nothing to do with their time, shame as Parga used to be a lovely place in the winter....

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Winter

...still is...safe, mellow...as the Greeks

say, you choose your PAREA......

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Winter

Shame this thread seems to have turned into a discussion from two people who seem to dislike each other.

Can't we get back to the original question - thought we were in for some interesting replies.

Jean

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Winter

Sorry to upset you Jean but Irene and myself are very good friends and always will be! Never judge a book by it's cover. Now what would you like to know?

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Winter

Oh. Well that's okay then.

Still keep looking at the webcams now and then. Got to be better than the snow and the cold here.

I am surprised that 95% of Parga is closed in winter. Thought there would be more people about. I believe Tzimas is open year round. It was one of our favourites.

Jean

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Winter

Yes, Mike and I are old mates, just having a back and forth...

Yes it is true, 95% of the restaurants are closed for the winter, the 2 in Parga town who stay open 12 months are Tzimas like you said and Thomas which is next door to Tzimas. The coffee bars along the front are for the most part open every day and the nice thing is if you have a beer or wine they all serve GREAT meze, not the summertime offering of peanuts and crisps. There are people out and about on Sundays and holidays, but the weekdays are very quiet everyone is recharging their batteries for the summer. In a previous post it was stated that it is good to be rid of the crowds in the winter, well not really because most of Parga survives from tourist income and if you have ever tried to stretch 6 months worth of income over 12 months, no amount of crowds is a bother!

Edited: 21 January 2013, 08:50
Get answers to your questions about Parga
Recent Conversations