We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

Hampshire
Level Contributor
764 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

I'm rubbish at these so will give a bit of background then some highlights.

4th visit to Parga (my favourite summer holiday destination) - 2004 Adams Hotel, 2008 Daphne Penthouse in town, 2011 Elena apartments. This time we stayed at Hotel Sol (it was a special occasion) and the hotel is amazing (I have posted a separate review).

Flew with Monarch to Preveza and although it was expensive and the seats were the narrowest I have ever sat in (even though we purchased extra legroom) they were really efficient and got us there and back on time and safely - the most important thing!

Transfer was by taxi with Billy Tousis - a lovely, friendly man and a great, safe driver.

Walked over to Valtos every day (apart from one day where we got Billy to take us to Sarakiniko (thanks to those on Trip Advisor who alerted me to this lovely beach) and, although it was a bit windy and choppy, we had a great day and visited Christos Taverna for a large lunch - thanks again Tripadvisor!). Valtos was great as usual but we did struggle a bit with the local teenagers who had obviously finished school / college, descended on the beach, all spoke / shouted at once and play hard hitting beach tennis about 2 foot away from you. There were tennis balls and bats flying about all over the place!!! We moved away from them (The Tango Club area) and it was fine. Popped to Tango Club a couple of days but the rest had some lovely food at Captains - try the Moussaka!!!

Because we stayed at The Hotel Sol in a big balcony sea view room we spent most of the evenings before going out drinking on the balcony and taking in the view so did not experience many of the bars, though we did pop into the small bar (ouzeri?) next to The Meeting Place (which was packed) a couple of times and it was great. The owner was fantastic, giving us free food, drinks and bottles of olive oil, just for buying a beer!!!

All our meals were excellent and consisted of Greek salads, courgettes, meatballs, baked feta for starters and stifado and kleftiko for main, with cold beers and tasty house wine. We ate at Perivoli, Taverna Krioneri, Ouzeri Apagkio (twice) and Tzima's (twice). Again thanks to Tripadvisor for alerting me to Tzima's, my new favourite restaurant. Superb food and a very friendly welcome. We will definitely be back and it was good to see quite a few people in there considering it's location.

Parga is a special place with a special atmosphere and I enjoyed testing out my Greek and received a great response from the locals. We will be back again, and again, and again,........

See, told you I was rubbish at these trip reports!!!

Rob

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

Thank you for your post Rob, it's certainly isn't rubbish! I'm off to Parga for the first time in September and found your report great and very informative for us first timers. You've set the scene well for us and I'll follow your tips regarding the food and restaurants, especially as it's my birthday while I'm there!!

Thanks again, Sue

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
766 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

Awww Rob that was a great review, you are now guilty of making me want to be there even more! We also love Sarakiniko beach and Tou Christo taverna. We are planning on staying the night this year when we go so we can watch the sunset and have a lovely evening meal in christos. Only 2 and 1/2 weeks to go now, cant wait,

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

Thanks for a great report Rob. I might try Tzima this time too. 5 days and counting :-)

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

Thanks for the review, all are great as you can imagine being there. We too tried Tzimas for the first time & went back & they remembered our names!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

Thanks for that Rob ,first time for me in August ,cant wait strikes me as a place that will tick all my boxes. Sarakaniko beach sounds good ,how much was your taxi ? Tzimas mentioned once again has to go my hit list.

Hull,UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

Hi Rob, have you got the contact details for the taxi driver please??? One of the regular posters (ConnySir if I remember rightly) mentioned the road to sarankiniko might be a little unsafe due to some landslide, what did you think the road was like???

Pargabride, see you there, 5 more sleep for us too, so excited :-)

Hampshire
Level Contributor
764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

The taxi was 45 Euros return between 4 of us. Gave 55. We got there about 10 and came back at 5.00. Great day.

It is bizarre there, you go back to a restaurant for the second time, get welcomed back like family, free olives, ouzo, brandy, other drinks, desert and all very reasonable in cost and when you leave you get handshakes, kisses and hugs. We went out for a meal here yesterday when we got back, first pub stopped serving food just before we got there, second pub advertised fish and didn't have any, took 35 mins to serve starter, then 40 mins to serve mains and wasn't cheap. Interesting eh?!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

If you type taxi parga billy into Google he should come up. His name is Vassillis. He has his own website. The road was very windy, but Billy drove very carefully and it was fine.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

hi thinking of going there by taxi our selves how long did it take,,,cheers tony

Hampshire
Level Contributor
764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 9-16 June 2013

About 30 mins. Not great distance but windy road to beach. Well worth it in our opinion.

Get answers to your questions about Parga
Recent Conversations