We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned after 1st Visit

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned after 1st Visit

My Husband and I have just returned after our 1st visit to Parga, We stayed at the Valtos Beach Hotel which was excellent. Lovely food, Lovely Family and staff and beautiful views. The dissapointment was Parga it self.

After reading reviews on this site about Parga for the last year I do not feel that they reflect what the Harbour area is really like. From reading this forum I got the impresion that the harbour was very traditional and was not at all touristy. Infact what we found was a place that was full of nothing but tourists queing around the walls to get into one of the many restaurants that lined the harbour. Tacky tourist shops selling cheap souvenirs and balloon sellers.

If you turned away and faced the sea the views were amazing and you could forget the mini 'Blackpool' that was behind you. Very dissapointed as we had looked forward to our trip but we would never return.

Also we will not take so much notice of a forum in the future as often bad reviews are removed which surely will give no one a true reflection of what a place is really like.

I do respect people's opinions and hopefully people will respect our's.

Norwich
Level Contributor
271 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

I suppose it's each to their own. To me Parga is a lovely place, very far away from Tacky or Blackpoolish. I have been to some huge resorts, for example Sunny Beach in Bulgaria, Correlejio in Furteventura which to me are the epitome of tourist trap, and Parga feels the exact opposite, it's smaller and more traditional.

Hopefully you will find somewhere that is your perfect destination for next time though.

worcestershire
Level Contributor
213 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

Its a shame you feel like that. We love Parga and hate Blackpool, cant see the comparison myself but each to their own. I would like to defend TA and the forums though as I dont believe bad reviews are removed, and I personally have used them to great affect on many journeys both abroad and home. I always check out where I

am going on TA where you always discount a percentage and take the majority. I also find extremely useful information via the forums and would like to thank all those that are helpful and supply the answers I have sought. Everyone has to try somewhere for themselves, one mans meat anothers poison as they say, but you can't blame that on genuine views of people who have enjoyed a place and passed on comments to help, others. I hope you find somewhere you like for your next holiday.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
761 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

Last month went to Parga for 4th time and it reinforced my view that it is my favourite holiday destination. I can understand some of your points about the harbour front but we only use it to walk through each night and to sit with a drink and people watch which can be very entertaining. For meals and drinks we use back streets - Tzima, Perivoli, Krioneri, etc. I have been to many holiday destinations but wouldn't describe the harbour front as tacky, just think of it as the busier part of the resort. Some of the places we ate and drank we close to the harbour but seemed a million miles away.

Each to their own though and that is why there are so many holiday destinations, all different.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
761 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

Last month went to Parga for 4th time and it reinforced my view that it is my favourite holiday destination. I can understand some of your points about the harbour front but we only use it to walk through each night and to sit with a drink and people watch which can be very entertaining. For meals and drinks we use back streets - Tzima, Perivoli, Krioneri, etc. I have been to many holiday destinations but wouldn't describe the harbour front as tacky, just think of it as the busier part of the resort. Some of the places we ate and drank we close to the harbour but seemed a million miles away.

Each to their own though and that is why there are so many holiday destinations, all different.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

One question.where do go on holiday alan q

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

We too have stayed twice at Valtos Beach Hotel & loved it. We have stayed at 2 other hotels and liked them also. Booked next year for 3 weeks as we have found nowhere we like as much as Parga! Have been to 7 other Greek Islands, all the Balearics, and 2 of the Canaries, as well as many other places.

Sorry you were expecting more from Parga & feel let down, as others have said hope you find somewhere that suits you.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
462 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

We have been to Parga 4 times, our last visit was last month. We didn't find the harbour front very busy at all; in fact it was a bit like a Saga convention lol. We usually visit in August when it is really busy. I dont understand how busy can be construed as 'tacky' but each to their own. Would be interested to hear where you usually holiday Jennick1. To compare Parga with Blackpool is a bit unkind and certainly unjustified.

York
Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

Like Blackpool - not one bit, in Parga you do not have to walk in dirty fish and chip left overs or half eaten burgers full of fat and the best hing no stag or hen drunks being sick in gutters, no no no Parga is not like Blackpool just nice people

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

i'm not sure why you think bad reviews are removed from forums , what has tripadvisor to gain by this they are not i presume funded by the resorts? i think you might be thinking more of hotel or restaurant reviews.

we are returning to Parga for a 2nd time and really loved the cosmopolitan feel of the harbour as in august it was mainly Italians and people watching was great fun, but we did also love driving off during the day to quiet places not only by the sea but inland as well. hoping you have a better holiday next time

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned after 1st Visit

Hi there

Its always a problem when there is a location on TA that has a large "following"..... I, like you, went to Parga last year, and although I enjoyed my holiday, I too was slightly disappointed with Parga, and also expected it to be more traditionally Greek than it was, perhaps it was because I had read some of the many rave reviews of the place - each to their own, and what suits one person doesn't another......sorry you didn't enjoyed Parga, but at least you know not to visit again ....

Please don't be put off using the TA forum in the future, I for one have discovered some amazing places in Greece to visit, as a guideline make sure in future you choose a destination that is "open" all year round rather than a tourist destination that is open only 6 months of the year.