We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preveza airport

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
390 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Preveza airport

Just to warn you that the chaos at the Airport seems to be getting worse. After two hours yesterday they were calling last call for the Manchester flight and I was still 30 minutes from even checking in. By the time I had checked in, had cases scanned and got to the back of the security queue my plane should have departed. I guessed as there other others from Manchester behind me that the plane would be held but it did kind of gave a bit of anxiety at the end of a chilled out holiday and of course any rep we could find (Cosmos had all disappeared obviously in arrivals by then) didn't have a clue. It was only at this point that airport staff told us to go to the front of the security queue.

Really needs sorting.

Actually the plane did arrive back at Manchester only 10 mins late but Preveza airport really is a pain.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preveza airport

In May the queues were awful, but for the Cosmos reps, who were ensuring everyone knew where to go, it would have been bedlam.

The queue for Manchester snaked around and around and around...it was funny watching peoples faces, when they entered the airport, when they realised where the back was. By the time we finally got through Passport control we went straight to the gate as it was boarding.

The only good thing about it was that for nervous flyers, like me, there is no time to ponder my fate and I am just glad we haven't missed the plane!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preveza airport

When we first flew to/from Preveza in 2008 the reps would tell you that there was a taverna opposite the airport and you might want to go in there before going through security. I doubt you could without missing your flight home!

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
390 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preveza airport

It was bad last year pretty much like Debs experience in May, but to hear your final call 30 mins before you're even at check-in etc. Lots of people were getting anxious especially as the security line was then snaking all over the place. Of course its a pain queuing for two hours but also looking after my 6 year old's boredom was difficult. The biggest thing though is I was genuinely thinking that this could go wrong and next thing they'd be announcing my flights take-off whilst I'm still in the queue LOL

Essex, England
Level Contributor
198 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preveza airport

We experienced similar chaos as Preveza we were on a Gatwick flight which was delayed then when it did arrive it then sat on the tarmac for over an hour because they had not got everyone through for the Manchester flight (I assume they were still checking in as they were rushing through & going straight to the gate). We live just over an hour from Gatwick airport and our journey back from Parga via Preveza door to door took 12 1/2 hours.

Bolton
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preveza airport

We were there in May for the Manchester flight and also two weeks ago and yes, it was chaos on both occoasions just as you describe. We were there on 21st August 2 years ago for the same flight and there was no other flight in the departure hall at that time and we were dealt with very efficiently so I don't know what's changed. We were also still in the queue to check in as boarding was being called and but secretly hoping the flight would leave without us though!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preveza airport

It sounds like Preveza has taken Heraklion's unenviable 1st place for stressful check-ins!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preveza airport

Thanks Steve... we go to Crete (via Heraklion) three weeks today with easy jet... :-)

I now wonder what's in store for us in early October coming back. We get back late as it is. Luckily booked the next day off work too.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preveza airport

I think the problems there are much worse with charters than with EJ, but even so, I recommend you get there 2.5 hours before departure if you have hold luggage and/or have not checked in already. Of course, having said that you are bound to have loads of time now!!

3 queues - check-in, then your luggage is reversed off the scales and you toddle off to queue for the xray, then queue for security.

If you have already checked-in and have no hold luggage, then no probs at all!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preveza airport

Steve

I have to agree.

We flew from Heraklion, in August, dreading it, as we have been going to Crete for 20+years and the airport is always a nightmare, well what a surprise this year. On arrival our luggage was on the carousel, before we got there, and we weren't the only flight there.

On departure the queues for passport and security were long but moved at a steady pace, we even found 3 seats together in the lounge, which I can't recall ever happening before. So credit where credits due, maybe the powers to be, in Crete, have taken on board the comments about their main airport and have addressed the problems, or maybe it was just a one off!!

Warrington
Level Contributor
134 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Preveza airport

We came back on Sunday 1st, Manchester flight at 7.45pm. 3 long queues, checking in, then bag scan, then security. Only had 20mins before we boarded the plane - usually that would be great but I suffered from terrible travel sickness from the coach journey and had no time to recuperate! Horrible flight home for me.

Get answers to your questions about Parga
Recent Conversations