We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rubbish!

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rubbish!

We love Parga and the surrounding areas - it is one of favourite Greek destinations. However, during our recent visit we were a little sad to see that the rubbish problem seems to back. I am guessing, and I am sure someone will put me right on this! Am guessing that the local municipality/council do not have the funding for much needed street cleaners and services. Parga Town is generally good, however, as you head in the direction of the BP Garage and Fire Station, things get gradually worse, Everything from large potholes filled with rubbish and water bottles to abandoned coaches, which have themseslves become open to fly tipping! The walk through the olive groves to Lichnos is beautiful, however, due to thunder and lightning we chose to walk back via the main road. The amount of rubbish just thrown into the verges was incredible. If this is all down to the tourists they should be ashamed of themselves! However, I suspect that it is not just the tourist that is adding to this problem, but that of a similar problem here in the UK. People love to keep their cars clean - so it would appear much easier to just throw your rubbish out of the car window! & not forgetting let's walk or drive to a beautiful location, enjoy our BBQ and picnic and then head off home and just leave our rubbish behind! I know the local Parga people formed cleaning parties a few years ago, not sure if they are still in operation - I hope they are. It is just such a shame to see an area of outstanding and natural beauty marred by a load of old rubbish! One gentleman we spoke to has been visiting Parga every year for 29 years and he was so concerned by this that he was going to write to the Greek Embassy! Myself and my husband found ourselves picking up rubbish on our travels in the hope that every little helps!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rubbish!

The abandoned coach and truck, as well as the sacks of builders rubble, which were off the main road cannot be blamed on tourists!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rubbish!

This was our first visit to Parga and we also commented on the amount of rubbish. I hated walking past the abandoned coach so made a mental note not to cross until we were at Dokos. On our return to the airport my sister commented that all the way from Parga to the airport the amount of rubbish she saw at the side of the road was awful. Obviously this was not the case in the centre of Parga as I believe the restaurant/bar and home owners did their best to keep the area clean and rubbish free. It was such a shame to see discarded water bottles etc when walking through the olive groves to Lichnos.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rubbish!

Oh how I agree with the above,myself and hubby have been going to Parga for over 10 years and never have seen so much rubbish discarded as it was this year,we could not stop mentioning it every time we went out,we did notice as well that the small bins attached to the lamp posts were always full,The coach looked terrible the person who owned it should be made to move it,but I suppose there laws are very lax compared to ours.It will not put us of from going back as I have already booked for 2014.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rubbish!

Last went to Parga in May 2011. Stayed at Irini Apartments, the abandoned coach was there then. Stayed over Voltas beach side before that. How long has it been there?

5. Re: Rubbish!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Parga