We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Parga, a few questions

Broadway, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Parga, a few questions

Hello :)

Me and my boyfriend ( late 20s) fly out to Parga for a week the end of this month. Can anyone help us with a few queries.

Firstly spending money how do prices compare to Greek Islands such as Skiathos? (We've heard Parga is slightly cheaper being main land is this true?)We are staying bed and breakfast at Valtos Beach hotel and studios so need to budget for light lunch, ice creams, sunbeds on the beach maybe every other day, two course dinner with cocktails and wine and just bottled water for in the day. Any idea how much for the week for the two of us? Oh and also water taxi at least one way maybe return some evenings how much are these?

Which are the best beaches in Parga or the surrounding areas which you can get too easily by water taxi/taxi/on foot? we may want to explore others as well as Valtos.

We just want a week relaxing mainly so probably won't do any excursions but is there any things that's a 'must see'?

Also best traditional Greek tavernas, one or two maybe with a nice view also?

Thank you in advance we can't wait to go now I love Greece and even more eager to go as didn't get my fix last year went to sharm el sheikh instead!

Sophie :)

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,625 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

Hi Sophie, I haven't been for a few years now but Skiathos was quite expensive but don't think Parga is too far behind it is a very popular resort, not all Islands are expensive, Lemos, Thassos, also parts of Crete are very cheap, also Stoupa on the mainland but the more popular they become tends to increase the prices. However, i am sure you will like Parga and you can probably gleam a bit of info from this. Water taxi's whent I was there, only ran to Valtos beach and were 2€s ew. Others will be more helpful with current dinners and prices

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21

Edited: 06 June 2014, 11:30
Spalding
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

Hi Sophie, I would say your first must see if staying at Valtos, is actually Parga Town, which is a little bit of a walk over the headland and I would suggest you do this as early as possible then you will return regularly during your stay.

There are a number of beaches you will be able to visit including Town Beach, Lichnos, Saraniko etc.

I can't comment on price comparison as our Greece fix has been mainly Parga for 10 years now, although we did visit Kos Town a couple of years ago and Parga is definitely about 20% cheaper.

Not sure of the tavernas on Valtos but at top of hill overlooking Valtos beach are Flisvos, Romantica and Stefanos. There are also one or two at the top on the road into town.

My own opinion would be that some of the better tradition taverna's are thos without the view and I would suggest you try Tzimas if you get chance.

Expect to Pay about 15-25 euros's for a light lunch in cafe. 40-50 euros's for 2 course meal with wine cocktails extra at about 6 or 7 euros.

The wine from the local supermarkets is very reasonable for price and taste. Bottle water is approx 2 or 3 euros for 6 1.5ltr bottles

I am sure you will get pleant of advice from people with more local knowledge than me.

N Wales
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

if you can afford it I personally would take roughly E100 per day, seems ample for our needs and we usually take a few trips, eat out every evening and sometimes at lunch time. plus the sunbeds, ice creams and drinks etc. have a great time in Parga ;-)

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

Hi Sophie, we are here in Parga just now. We budgeted €90 a day, & most days don't even spend that. We are in a studio, so have breakfast in, then lunch with wine is about €20-25. Dinner around €30-35 with 2 starters & mains & local house wine that's very good at around €4-5 500mls.

We have stayed twice at Valtos Beach hotel & its lovely. We never used the water taxi to get into Parga as the walk up is via a slope, but down to Parga is via steps which have lots of little shops to stop at. The view from the castle is amazing. Stephanos taverna at the top of the hill to Parga has great views. Everyone has their favourite tavernas & none we have found are bad.

We have walked to Lichnos beach via the olive groves about an hour from Parga & taken a road taxi back.

We usually buy an umbrella at the start of the holiday & use that instead of sunbeds, but they are €6 on Lichnos beach for two plus umbrella.

There is plenty to keep you occupied for a week just around Parga, have a great time!

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

I usually budget for 50 euro per person per day and we eat and drink a lot! In the past 2 years I have visited Crete, Corfu and Parga, and I personally think Parga is a little more expensive to eat out, although I suppose it can depend on the resort. Parga still my most favourite place though! Have to have my fix every year.

west mids
Level Contributor
497 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

in my opinion parga is definately cheaper than skiathos i love both and will visit both again in fact just booked skiathos for 2015 however will be returning to parga in the near future

Broadway, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

Thank you all, some great tips. How long does it take to walk into Parga town from Valtos beach? And also are there many cafés for lunch on Valtos beach or relatively near by?

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

I agree with ebgb76 - we always budget 100 euros a day and find that's more than enough to have a good time. Enjoy:).

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
558 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

Hi Sophiekate,

There are plenty of places along Valtos to have lunch so no worries on that score. Depending on your fitness levels, and I note you are youngsters, I would say anything between 20 to 30 mins. I'm in my 50's and it takes us about that long to reach the middle of the harbour from Tango area on Valtos. If you don't feel like walking then call for a taxi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Parga, a few questions

Been to parga many times a month at a time. many friends there, why has no-one mentioned The meeting bar cheap drinks with lovely homemade meze thrown in. Opposite the anchor on seafront, go up alley which says Factory disco. Go right to the top and you will see Yannis "the meeting bar". Great mix of locals and holiday makers Good for lunchtime and evening. If you dont fancy large meal there is always gyros at about 2.50E.

Get answers to your questions about Parga