We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preveza airport " wetlands" road

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
147 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Preveza airport " wetlands" road

Just landed yesterday and on approach i noticed an area of land water and was hoping someone could tell me what it is and is it worth hiring a car to go and explore .

As you are coming into land(maybe 30 seconds to touch down )with the terminal buildings on the right hand side you fly over a area of water with a road dissecting the watered area In two. It looks a cool road to drive along has anyone drove it or knows about it, is it tidal etc.

Thanks Nigel

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

Hi Nigel

Sounds like you are talking about the road to Lefkas (although it is an island it is connected by road) but someone else may know different.

Sue

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

If you landed from the east it could be Koronisia,

Edited: 01 September 2014, 16:21
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

Sorry I should have said no tide to mention, and it is a great, quiet, scenic drive,we found a lovely (non tourist) fish restaurant, sorry can't remember the name, It's well worth a visit if you want to get away from the crowds.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 16:37
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
147 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

Royandlin.

I've now got wi fi and I google earthed the area and yes it is Koronisia.

So many many thanks for the reply.

We will be going there sometime this week the road looks brilliant.

Regards Nigel

Preveza
Destination Expert
for Parga, Preveza
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

I've spent a few sunny days visiting Koronisia. I love the long round in the middle of the sea, always fascinates me. We usually go to the first large taverna as you enter - just past the harbour. I went to another nice place yesterday which I didn't know existed - Panagia Plaz (Vonitsa) this is also in the gulf. Very beautiful views. The mainland is incredible - there's always something new to see and explore.

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/details/photo/92372/KORONISIA+1

Edited: 02 September 2014, 07:49
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

Koronisia is amazing, it's in the middle of the Amvrakikos Gulf, which is a huge area of sea with only a tiny outlet to the Ionian Sea between Preveza and Aktio. The whole area is well worth exploring by car, and I highly recommend the "eco-cruising" boat trips which take you right out into the middle of the Gulf where you'll see dolphins and much more. http://www.eco-cruising.gr/

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
740 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

Can totally agree with kyklamina really recommend the eco cruising, fantastic boat trip by people that care about the beauty and wildlife on their doorstep!

Preveza
Destination Expert
for Parga, Preveza
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

I was on the beach where the eco crusing boat stops for a taverna break the other day 'Plaz Panagia' Vonitsa. It's beautiful round there (gulf). My friend was wistfully staring at the boat wishing she'd been part of the group (me - not so much - don't like boats) I can imagine that trip must be magical if you like boats.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

I stronly encourrage people to be a bit adventurous, explore mainland and not go only for the known must sees, but ask localy on hidden gems and allow some time to drive around aimlessly till they fall upon something nice and unexpected.

I believe a bit further away of Koronisia there is a village called Aneza (sp?) which is popular for bird watching. especially on spring many - pelakanoi -storks build their nests there. Of course the whole area is famous for bird watching and a large part of it is a protected area, some of the more rare species, argyropelekanos in Greek , Pelecanus crispus scientifically, Chrysaetos eagle Aquila chrysaetos and Asproparis Neophron Percnopterus are to be found around Amvrakikos gulf among tons of other species.

Although most people are impressed with the dolphins, there are occasional appearence of Caretta-Carreta sea turtle and Monachus Monachus monk seal, and maybe the most impressive thing is that on parts where rivers meet the Amvrakikos, there are vidres,Lutra lutra , small mammals similar to beavers that are nowadays rare in Greece. Foxes, Jackals, tons of reptiles , frogs, turtles, lizards etc are to be found around too.

Ah, Panagia beach, definately very pleasant and known only to locals, at least till a few years ago when I was there for last time. Vonitsa is a town where most people pass through going to Lefkas, but it has some pretty nice corners. Its castle of course and then its waterfront area is a good spot to spend a few hours in leisure.

Preveza
Destination Expert
for Parga, Preveza
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Preveza airport " wetlands" road

I saw the beaver/otter type creatures while staying at Gogo's Palace on the road into Ammoudia. Really cute!

Get answers to your questions about Parga
Recent Conversations