We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
Money exchange

Hi, is it best to buy currency at home or bring cash or card and exchange in kefalonia. Many thanks, ian

6 replies to this topic
Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Money exchange

Always take cash exchanged in UK for a better rate.

London
Level Contributor
113 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Money exchange

Get a bank debit card that allows for fee free withdrawals at an ATM. Pre order currency in the UK for collection either at the airport or delivery to your home to tide you over until you can get to an ATM in Greece.

Withdrawals at Alpha bank, for one, don't attract a fee at the Greek end although some banks charge a 3 Euro fee for withdrawals.

Don't fall for the "for added peace of mind let us convert this amount to Sterling" trick either. All the ATMs I've used in Kefalonia and Ithaca have offered that "service". but it can be declined.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 14:24
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Money exchange

All you need to know about using ATMs is under the top questions on the right of the forum,

https:/…94051511

The banks are charging between €2-3, depending which one, but to date Alpha Bank still hasn’t levied a charge.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Money exchange

I always take Euros with me as better rate in UK than on the island. The difference was minimal when we went in May/June, so not a great saving, and as we always rent a safety deposit box no security issues. If you decide to use your card on the island make sure your bank will not charge you per transaction, as has happened to me in the past .

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Money exchange

If you use a Halifax Clarity Card you will get almost Interbank rate of exchange and as of today you should get 1.12 to the Pound Sterling. Use Alfabank if you can as they do not charge per withdrawal.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Money exchange

Hi all, thank you for the replies, much appreciated

Reply to: Money exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia