We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

I found a place in Assos that I would like to stay at, however with my fear of heights, I'm not sure that I would handle the road to Assos very well, yet I would really like to stay there if the approach isn't too bad. Anyone familiar with the road to Assos please help. Thanks!

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

Last time I did this route was 15 years ago, so I don't know if they have improved the road or not. I think it is a problem only if you approach it by bus, because you get the feeling (although it isn't so) that the front of the bus is hanging over the cliff. But you can get some other roads like that in Greece, The one from Delphi to Itea or the one from Athinios port in Santorini to the main road. The only thing you have to do is to focus on something else.

Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

Thanks Timothy - I am ok with the road from the port in Santorini so if it is no worse than that than I should be fine. I cannot drive the road up to Ancient Thira in Santorini - I have tried twice and both times turned around because it just seems too narrow for 2 cars to safely pass! Does anyone know if it is better than that drive?

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

Yes, it is better than the one to Ancient Thira, much better! Every time that I went up to ancient Thira the site was closed, because they would close at 14:00 - 14:30. So I have been maybe three times to the top, but never to the ruins!!!

Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

I'm sure you will be fine - the road is very good quality and easily wide enough for 2 cars. Of course, you are on the inside on the way to Assos - but still not too scary on the way back to Argostoli.

Rach

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

We have just returned from Kefalonia and it is an absolutely incredible island but I must say my fear of heights was severley tested! The coastal road from the airport is very windy and overlooks huge drops - its breathtaking but i was quite terrified, especially with the presence of greek drivers whizzing past! The drive down to Assos itself is pretty steep (as are any of the descents to the beaches) but it is definitely wide enough for two cars. I wouldnt recommend driving it at night though so if you do think you'll be scared maybe stay somewhere else and just visit Assos. Assos is beautiful and idyllic but very small - just one pebbly beach set around a bay and a handful of restaurants.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

Hi there

The road down into Assos from the coastal road was widened and resurfaced around three years ago. It's steep and twisty but nothing to worry about - you wouldn't drive down a hill like that in the UK at 50mph so just exercise the same caution as you would anywhere and you'll be fine.

7. Re: Fear of heights - road to Assos in Kefalonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 17:20