We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Svoronata Aircraft Noise How bad?

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Svoronata Aircraft Noise How bad?

Is the Aircraft bad all day and all night? I didn't realise when I booked it would be that close to the airport. Have I made a mistake is it going to spoil a relaxing holiday? I am staying at Avithos Resort.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Svoronata Aircraft Noise How bad?

Hi there

Svoronata is indeed right alongside the airport but it's not as bad as you might first think. Firstly, the two main changeover days (Tuesdays and Saturdays) are when most of the flights either come in or depart - outside those days the airport is fairly quiet, Secondly, the majority of flights are via Airbuses which have way quieter engines than all the jets from a few years ago. You'll hear them obviously, but it won't be a thunderous roar associated with older aircraft. Thirdly, the prevailing winds tend to come from the northwest so will "blow" the noise straight down the runway to a certain degree rather than off to the sides.

Fourthly, when are you going? Needless to say, July and August will be much busier than say June or September for flights.

Avithos is a great place to stay and I'm sure you'll soon not notice the planes passing over. We regularly stay at Anissaras on the north coast of Crete, right under the flight path for approach to Iraklion airport. Admittedly, the planes are a bit higher there than they will be at Svoronata but it's amazing how soon you stop even noticing them.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
237 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Svoronata Aircraft Noise How bad?

i have stayed at avithos with flights coming in all the time allday except monday you can not relax at the time i was there june 7 couples moved as we did the rep even said the planes spoit the holiday they start at about 6 am and go on till about 9 to 10 pm beleave me change if you can dont beleave any one who says they wont spoil it they will, the end of the runway is only yards from the hotel. hope this helps

Lisboa
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Svoronata Aircraft Noise How bad?

Hi,

I have stayed at svoronata and the plains did not afect me at all. I liked the place and the beach. In fact is more the visual impact of seing the aircraft than the noise itself. I saw 2 or 3 planes a day at most. But i rented a car and was all over the island during most fo my stay.

essex
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Svoronata Aircraft Noise How bad?

Hi

We've stayed in svoronata twice and the planes did not affect us at all. You CAN hear them, no doubt about that, but they dont fly at night (or didnt when we were there) and its such a gorgeous place that it didnt put me off at all, if i went back to kefalonia again i'd still stay in that resort.

5. Re: Svoronata Aircraft Noise How bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia