We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

uk
Level Contributor
342 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

I have read some old but disturing reviews re: flying monarch. Just wondering has anyone flown with them to KEF and was it ok? and is it worth paying the extra and booking seats together?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

Hi there

Not to Kefalonia but a few years ago we flew to Crete with them. The seating was the most cramped I've ever experienced and the seats were no better than sitting in a deck chair - thin, no support and very uncomfortable.

Of course this may well have changed by now but we've never flown with them since.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

I'm in the same boat - or plane so to speak! I'm going later this year and looked at www.airlinequality.com/Forum/monarch.htm and the overall impression isn't great. I've never done a charter airline before - or even low cost budget for that matter so it's going to be interesting.

Based on what I read I've paid the extra for emergency row seating (extra leg room) and meal and baggage. Interetingly, I booked through Thomas Cooks website for a Saturday Monarch flight, but via Monarch's website they don't seem to offer this flight for sale. It has a MON airline code. There is a pricing difference between the two sites re the extras. Monarch charge £30 (iirc) while Thomas Cook charge £15 for the extra leg room. But monarch has "packages" where you get food, legroom and extra baggage for one price.

I think charging to sit together is a very mean though.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

So, if you're short, single, don't have any luggage and on a diet... Monarch is the way to go! ;-)

uk
Level Contributor
342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

Oh dear, so not looking forward to it now. Am attempting to see if i can purchase more leg room on the flight but we booked through airflights- the price for our flight has now decreased-.

Wished now I had gone with another airline!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

Hi Holaflower,

What was it like in the end? We are looking at a deal through Cosmos/Monarch so would appreciate any feedback!

Although overall I dont think it would change our mind if the place we want to stay is only through them. Holiday is more important than the flight but a decent flight helps!

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

Where did you decide in the end Chino? Just me being nosey. Lol

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

We have found Monarch Ok-certainly better than Thos Cook who we flew to Kef with last time- we only had a week so chose Kef because short flight time, quick transfers etc. Nightmare journey, took all day and vowed never again.

england
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

For a short flight to cephalonia, monarch would be fine. I just wouldn't book with them long hall. My husband had to sit for 14 hours once to maldives and back and he is over 6 foot, never again!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

yeah, we flew with them to the maldives a couple of years ago - thank goodness i had the foresight to check them out for long haul and we upgraded to 'premium' if you can call it that, but it was certainly better than the rest of the seats!!

MyBelle - not decided yet! So hard to pick, and when I went in to Thomas Cook today they gave me a Greece & Cyprus brochure and the dealz brochure you mentioned and now I'm even more confused! We are thinking of doing a cheapish holiday somewhere in Greece in May and Kefalonia maybe in Sept/Oct. I think I've decided I want to go to Katelios as it seems really chilled but with just enough restaurants to get by. But who knows! I might change my mind again by tomorrow - I'll let you know!

:)

I was very impressed with Thomas Cook thought. I had a quote from Thomson for the San Giorgio in Skala - 5th to 12th May for £556 B&B inc in flight meals. Thomas Cook quoted me £779 not incl in flight meals, and when I showed them the Thomson quote they quoted me £550 incl inflight meals and extra luggage! But think the san giorgio is too far away from the centre - want to be within walking distance of restaurants and not have to worry about getting taxis in the evening.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying monarch to kefalonia-reviews

Hiya Chino,

San Giorgio is lovely but it is a heck of a walk into Skala. A lot of people walk in in the evenings then taxi it back but it would be too hot in the day.

Main ops who do Katelios are ManoS Greece & Cyprus and Olympic Holidays. I assume the Greece & Cyprus brochure you're referring to is the Manos one. Good luck. I'm sure wherever you go you'll love it.